Liverpool - Chelsea Preview: Torres seeks his first league goal of 2013 on Anfield return
In a game which the Blues will be searching for their third away win of the year, the Spaniard returns to his old home for only the second time since his £50 million move away
By Ben Cullimore
Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Enrique
Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard
Sturridge, Suarez, Coutinho
Azpilicueta, Luiz, Terry, Bertrand
Mata, Oscar, Hazard
Liverpool remain without Fabio Borini (shoulder), Joe Allen (shoulder) and Martin Kelly (knee), who are all ruled out for the rest of the season.
Meanwhile, Raheem Sterling (thigh) faces a late fitness test after missing Liverpool's last two games.
As for Chelsea, they face no fresh injury concerns, and with both Ashley Cole and Gary Cahill on the verge of returning to the first team after spells on the sideline through injury, manager Rafael Benitez may well be able to include them in what is certain to be a strong side.
Oriol Romeu (knee) remains Chelsea's only long-term absentee.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The last time these two sides met at Anfield, Liverpool won in emphatic fashion, beating the Blues 4-1 after going 3-0 in the opening half-hour.
- The Reds also have history on their side, winning five of the last 10 meetings between the two clubs, with Chelsea winning three games and two ending in draws.
- Luis Suarez (pictured) has been on fine form all season and leads the Premier League top goalscorers table with 22 goals, double the amount he managed last campaign.
- The Reds have had the most attempts at goal in Europe this season with 639, leading Real Madrid in second place by 43 shots.
- Despite scoring five goals in all competitions since the new year, Fernando Torres hasn't scored in a Premier League game since he netted a double against Sunderland at the start of December. He is 14/1 to score two of more on Sunday.
- The importance of the clash might spur Torres on to score, however, as the Spaniard faces the club he spent four years at, scoring 81 goals in 142 appearances.
- Chelsea's victory in midweek against Fulham was only their second away win in the league in 2013, and before that game they were on a three game losing streak away from Stamford Bridge.
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea FC
- 18.78 %
Liverpool 2-1 Chelsea FC
- 16.75 %
Liverpool 1-3 Chelsea FC
- 9.17 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||29-Dec-2013||Chelsea FC 2 - Liverpool 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||21-Apr-2013||Liverpool 2 - Chelsea FC 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||11-Nov-2012||Chelsea FC 1 - Liverpool 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||09-May-2012||Liverpool 4 - Chelsea FC 1|
|FA Cup (FA)||05-May-2012||Liverpool 1 - Chelsea FC 2|
|01-Mar-2014||Southampton 0 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|23-Feb-2014||Liverpool 4 - Swansea City 3||EPL|
|16-Feb-2014||Arsenal 2 - Liverpool 1||FA|
|13-Feb-2014||Fulham 2 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|08-Feb-2014||Liverpool 5 - Arsenal 1||EPL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed