The newly appointed boss is yet to avoid defeat since taking charge at the Madejski Stadium and will likely face a tough afternoon against the Brendan Rodger's Europe-chasing side
Kelly, Mariappa, Morrison, Gunter
Robson-Kanu, Karacan, Guthrie, McAnuff
Le Fondre, Pogrebnyak
Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Enrique
Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson
Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez
Reading continue to be without Jason Roberts (thigh) and Jimmy Kebe (groin), while Hope Akpan is struggling with a knock picked up in the defeat to Southampton last week.
Pavel Pogrebnyak may replace him, joining Adam Le Fondre in a two-pronged attack.
Liverpool have doubts over Stewart Downing (illness), with Daniel Sturridge set to step up to Brendan Rodgers' front-line.
Youngster Raheem Sterling (thigh) has been ruled out, while Fabio Borini, Joe Allen and Martin Kelly will all miss the rest of the season.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Reading last hosted Liverpool in the Premier League in December 2007, where goals from Stephen Hunt, Kevin Doyle and James Harper gave the eventually relegated Royals a 3-1 win over the Reds. Steven Gerrard struck for the visitors.
- From that matchday squad, only Nicky Shorey and Adam Federici remain at the club.
- Only Wigan have conceded more goals at home than Reading this season.
- The Royals' central-midfielders have only contributed two goals in the Premier League this season, while Liverpool captain Gerrard (pictured right) already has nine to his name.
- Only Manchester United and Tottenham have scored more goals away from home in the league than the Reds this season.
- There has never been a goalless draw between these two sides in nine meetings.