Aston Villa - Liverpool Preview: Lambert's men target three straight wins
Paul Lambert’s side will be keen for three points to boost their hopes of avoiding relegation, while Brendan Rodgers’ men remain in the hunt for a European place
By Shane Farrington
Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Baker
Westwood, Bannan, N’Zogbia
Agbonlahor, Benteke, Weimann
Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique
Coutinho, Suarez, Downing
Darren Bent could make his return after overcoming a foot injury scare, while Charles N’Zogbia may come into the starting line-up ahead of Yacouba Sylla. Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert faces no new injury worries.
Pacy attacking trio Gabriel Agbonlahor, Andreas Weimann and Christian Benteke are poised to start in a forward.
Brendan Rodgers will have first-choice goalkeeper Pepe Reina back in goal after the Spaniard recovered from a calf injury. Jamie Carragher is pushing for a starting berth although he may have to settle for a place on the bench.
Joe Allen will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing shoulder surgery, while Martin Kelly (knee) and Fabio Borini (shoulder) are also out.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Villa have won their last two Premier League matches - a 2-1 win over Reading and a 3-2 victory against QPR. It’s the first time they have won back-to-back games this season.
- Paul Lambert’s side have only scored 14 times in the league at home so far this season - only QPR (11) have fewer home goals.
- Both sides have a player with the joint-most yellow cards in the league this season. Villa’s Matthew Lowton and Liverpool’s Luis Suarez have both received nine yellow cards - the same amount as Sunderland’s Craig Gardner.
- The previous meeting between the two sides finished in a 3-1 Villa win. A brace from Christian Benteke and a goal from Andreas Weimann put the visitors into a three goal lead before a late strike from Steven Gerrard.
- Suarez (pictured right), is the current top scorer in the league with 22 goals. He’s three ahead of Manchester United striker Robin van Persie.
- Liverpool are the third-highest scorers in the league so far this season with 57 goals. Manchester United (69) and Chelsea (58) have netted more.
Top 3 Predictions
Aston Villa 0-3 Liverpool
- 17.39 %
Aston Villa 1-3 Liverpool
- 15.06 %
Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool
- 11.69 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||18-Jan-2014||Liverpool 2 - Aston Villa 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||24-Aug-2013||Aston Villa 0 - Liverpool 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||31-Mar-2013||Aston Villa 1 - Liverpool 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||15-Dec-2012||Liverpool 1 - Aston Villa 3|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||07-Apr-2012||Liverpool 1 - Aston Villa 1|
|02-Mar-2014||Aston Villa 4 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|23-Feb-2014||Newcastle 1 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|12-Feb-2014||Cardiff City 0 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|08-Feb-2014||Aston Villa 0 - West Ham 2||EPL|
|01-Feb-2014||Everton 2 - Aston Villa 1||EPL|
|8||Karim El Ahmadi||Midfielder|
|21||Jordan Nathaniel Bowery||Striker|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed