Sunderland - Tottenham Preview: In-form Black Cats face high-flying Spurs
These two teams come into the game in good form, with the home side on a two-game winning streak that includes a 1-0 victory over champions Manchester City on Boxing Day
By Chris Teale
Bardsley, Cuellar, Kilgallon, O'Shea
Larsson, Gardner, Vaughan, Johnson
Walker, Gallas, Dawson, Vertonghen
Lennon, Sigurdsson, Parker, Bale
Danny Rose is ineligible to play for Sunderland against his parent club, so will return to first-team action in the New Year.
Wes Brown (knee) and Lee Cattermole (knee) remain major injury concerns, with both expected to miss a number of games with knee injuries.
John O'Shea missed the Black Cats' victory over Manchester City with illness, but should be available against Spurs.
Benoit Assou-Ekotto's return to full fitness continues, but he may not start this game as his recovery begins to gather momentum.
Mousa Dembele was replaced during Spurs' win over Aston Villa with a knock and is doubtful for this game.
Clint Dempsey missed Tottenham’s 0-0 draw with Stoke and the clash against Villa with a groin problem, and continues to be a doubt.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sunderland have still not won a penalty in the Premier League this season.
- The Black Cats' victory over Manchester City on Boxing Day was their second consecutive win over the champions at the Stadium of Light by one goal.
- Steven Fletcher has opened the scoring in six matches in the Premier League this season, more than any other player.
- Last season, Tottenham went undefeated in the two fixtures between these sides - drawing 0-0 away and winning 1-0 at home thanks to a strike from Roman Pavyluchenko.
- Spurs midfielder Sandro (pictured) has made 74 interceptions in the Premier League this season, more than any other player.
- Following his hat-trick against Aston Villa, Gareth Bale has already equalled his best ever goals total in the league of nine, which he set last season.
- Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe has scored or assisted 12 goals in his 18 Premier League starts this season.
Top 3 Predictions
Sunderland 1-2 Tottenham
- 16.56 %
Sunderland 1-3 Tottenham
- 13.94 %
Sunderland 0-2 Tottenham
- 9.89 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||07-Dec-2013||Sunderland 1 - Tottenham 2|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||24-Jul-2013||Sunderland 3 - Tottenham 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||19-May-2013||Tottenham 1 - Sunderland 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||29-Dec-2012||Sunderland 1 - Tottenham 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||07-Apr-2012||Sunderland 0 - Tottenham 0|
|09-Mar-2014||Hull 3 - Sunderland 0||FA|
|02-Mar-2014||Manchester City 3 - Sunderland 1||CCUP|
|22-Feb-2014||Arsenal 4 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|15-Feb-2014||Sunderland 1 - Southampton 0||FA|
|08-Feb-2014||Sunderland 0 - Hull 2||EPL|
|24||Carlos Javier Cuéllar||Defender|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed