thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 6 October 2012
  • • 19:30
  • • Liberty Stadium, Swansea
  • Referee: M. Dean
  • • Attendance: 20336

Swansea 2-2 Reading: Michu & Routledge strikes salvage a point in late comeback

Swansea 2-2 Reading: Michu & Routledge strikes salvage a point in late comeback

Getty Images

Michael Laudrup's side earn a draw at the Liberty Stadium after conceding first-half goals to Pavel Pogrebnyak and Noel Hunt as Royals spurn chance of first win of the season

Swansea came from two goals behind against Reading as strikes from Michu and Wayne Routledge cancelled out Pavel Pogrebnyak and Noel Hunt's first-half efforts to earn a point at the Liberty Stadium.

The Royals took the lead against the run of play as the former Fulham striker latched onto Jobi McAnuff’s through ball and fired past Michel Vorm from inside the penalty area. Hunt made it two just before half-time hitting a sublime volley into the net from close range.

After the break it was all Swansea as they dominated the game, first Michu got a goal back, heading in from close range from Routledge’s cross. The winger himself got the leveller as he drove into the penalty area and fired past Alex McCarthy to earn a point for the Swans.

Michael Laudrup made just one change to his side that lost to Stoke last time out with Routledge replacing Pablo Hernandez. Meanwhile, Brian McDermott also made a single change with Jay Tabb replacing the injured Mikele Leigertwood.

Laudrup’s side were well on top in the early stages and had early chances. First, Ashley Williams headed wide from Ki Seung-Yung’s cross and moments later, Routledge saw his effort blocked but the rebound fell kindly for Michu who blasted his effort over.

Reading had offered little in attack for the opening 30 minutes but they made Swansea rue their missed chances when they took the lead.

McAnuff slid a pass behind the Swans defence for Pogrebynak who took the ball into the box and fired a left-footed shot which went straight through Vorm.

The Russian’s strike seemed to ignite the Royals and they began to look more threatening. Just before half-time they doubled their lead thanks to an excellent strike from Hunt who volleyed past Vorm from close range after McAnuff’s rebounded shot fell to him.

Swansea came out after the interval reinvigorated and McCarthy was forced into two great saves to deny substitute Luke Moore, first blocking his shot when one-on-one then minutes later tipping his header onto the post after Routledge had found him with a pinpoint cross.

McCarthy was having a busy second half and was called on again first to deny Ki’s left-footed shot which he turned onto the post, then again moments later as he got down low to parry away Williams’ header which looked like creeping into the bottom corner.

Laudrup’s side finally got a deserved goal when Michu headed in from close range, this time McCarthy could do nothing about it as the Spaniard placed the ball out of his reach after racing onto Routledge’s cross at the back-post.

Swansea upped the ante after getting back into the game and minutes later they drew level through Routledge, who played a sublime one-two with Moore, and drove into the penalty area and fired a vicious shot into the net.  

Both sides looked for a winner as time began to run out and Royals midfielder Jem Karacan came close but Williams was on hand to clear his effort off the line at one end while substitute Pablo felt he should have had a penalty at the other but the game finished all square.