Corinthians - Santos Preview: Peixe face tough task in bid to retain Libertadores title
One goal behind following the opener, Muricy's men will have to find some way past the formidable Timao defence if they hope to repeat 2011's Copa triumph
By Daniel Edwards
Alessandro, Chicao, L. Castan, F. Santos
Jorge Henrique, Willian
Henrique, Edu Dracena, Durval, Juan
Adriano, Arouca, Ganso
Alan Kardec, Borges, Neymar
Corinthians coach Tite is likely to make just one enforced change from the side that defended magnificently to take a 1-0 win away from home in the Copa Libertadores semi-final first leg. Goalscorer Emerson's red card in that fixture rules him out, with Willian replacing the striker in a straight swap as the rest of the team sheet reads identically.
The big change for Santos sees former Manchester City midfielder Elano drop to the bench, as coach Muricy Ramalho looks to attack right from kick-off in a bid to reverse the defeat of last week. Centre-forward Borges starts in Elano's place to form a three-man attack alongside Alan Kardec and Neymar; the latter of whom will be expected to support playmaker Ganso deeper down the field and attack the Corinthians defence at pace.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Santos' defeat last week in Vila Belmiro marked the first ever time the rivals had met in the Copa. Of their 302 meetings in all competitions, Corinthians possess the better win ratio over their Paulista rivals with 123 victories compared to Santos' 96.
- The Peixe, however, can point to their three Libertadores trophies collected in 1962, 1963 and 2011, while the Timao have never won the title.
- With seven strikes, Neymar (pictured right) is the highest scorer left in the competition. Deportivo Quito's Matias Alustiza leads overall with eight, while the Santos star shares second place with Dorlan Pabon of Atletico Nacional.
- Corinthians, on the other hand, do not boast a single representative amongst the 14 highest scorers. Their top marksmen are Danilo, Jorge Henrique and Emerson, each netting three times so far.
- The key to their run has been an almost impenetrable defence. Including the semi-final first leg, the Sao Paulo giants have conceded just two goals in 11 Copa clashes.
- Timao coach Tite has experience in continental competitions. The 51-year-old was on the Internacional bench in 2008 when the Porto Alegre side lifted the Copa Sudamericana.
Top 3 Predictions
Corinthians 1-2 Santos
- 16.5 %
Corinthians 0-2 Santos
- 13.5 %
Corinthians 1-3 Santos
- 11 %
|Brazil - Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A (BRA1)||27-Oct-2013||Corinthians 1 - Santos 1|
|Brazil - Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A (BRA1)||08-Aug-2013||Santos 1 - Corinthians 1|
|Brazil - Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A (BRA1)||25-Nov-2012||Corinthians 1 - Santos 1|
|Brazil - Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A (BRA1)||20-Aug-2012||Santos 3 - Corinthians 2|
|Copa Libertadores (CLIB)||21-Jun-2012||Corinthians 1 - Santos 1|
|01-Dec-2013||Corinthians 0 - Internacional 0||BRA1|
|25-Nov-2013||Flamengo 1 - Corinthians 0||BRA1|
|18-Nov-2013||Corinthians 0 - Vasco da Gama 0||BRA1|
|14-Nov-2013||Coritiba Foot Ball Club 0 - Corinthians 1||BRA1|
|11-Nov-2013||Corinthians 1 - Fluminense FC 0||BRA1|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed