Liverpool - Stoke City Preview: Potters have only conceded two goals once in their last 15 FA Cup ties
The Reds continue their quest for a possible domestic double, seeking the victory over Tony Pulis' side that would secure a Wembley return following their League Cup triumph
By Matthew Harold
Kelly, Carragher, Skrtel, Jose Enrique
Henderson, Gerrard, Adam
Downing, Suarez, Bellamy
Wilkinson, Shawcross, Huth, Wilson
Shotton, Whitehead, Whelan, Etherington
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish will be able to welcome back forward Craig Bellamy into his side after the Welshman missed the Reds' Merseyside derby demolition of local rivals Everton in midweek.
The Anfield gaffer will have to do without the services of full back Glen Johnson, who is still making his way back from injury, while defender Daniel Agger is set to miss out on the quarter-final tie with a cracked rib.
Stoke City boss Tony Pulis will be minus Jamaican striker Ricardo Fuller after the 32-year-old received a straight red card for stamping on Branislav Ivanovic during their away defeat to Chelsea in the Premier League.
He is set to give a recall to goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen, deciding to give a rest to current Stoke stopper Asmir Begovic, while former Liverpool striker Peter Crouch is set to return to the starting line-up having missed out the Stamford Bridge clash.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool have only managed to claim victory in four out of their last 12 fixtures, drawing four and losing the same amount.
- The Reds are looking to claim a domestic double for the first time since 2001, when they beat Birmingham City on penalties to lift the League Cup, then defeated Arsenal in the dramatic closing minutes of the FA Cup final thanks to two goals from Michael Owen.
- This will be the first time the two sides have met in the FA Cup since 1988, when a Peter Beardsley strike helped Liverpool win a replay.
- Reds boss Kenny Dalglish (pictured right) is looking to claim his third FA Cup in charge of the Anfield side after winning the trophy in 1986 and 1989 during his first stint in charge of Liverpool.
- The Anfield encounter will be Stoke City’s 46th game of this season, having started the campaign in July against Hajduk Split in the Europa League.
- While Liverpool have played all of their FA Cup games at home, Stoke have had to play each of Gillingham, Derby and Crawley away from the Britannia Stadium.
- The Potters have only conceded more than one goal once in their last 15 FA Cup ties, spanning three seasons.
- This is the fourth time the two teams have met this season; Tony Pulis’ side claimed a goalless draw on their last visit to Merseyside, having won their home Premier League fixture 1-0 thanks to a Jonathan Walters penalty, while in between, the Reds knocked the Potters out of the League Cup.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 2-0 Stoke
- 27.68 %
Liverpool 3-1 Stoke
- 16.22 %
Liverpool 2-1 Stoke
- 13.84 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||12-Jan-2014||Stoke 3 - Liverpool 5|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||17-Aug-2013||Liverpool 1 - Stoke 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||27-Dec-2012||Stoke 3 - Liverpool 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||07-Oct-2012||Liverpool 0 - Stoke 0|
|FA Cup (FA)||18-Mar-2012||Liverpool 2 - Stoke 1|
|20-Apr-2014||Norwich City 2 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|13-Apr-2014||Liverpool 3 - Manchester City 2||EPL|
|06-Apr-2014||West Ham 1 - Liverpool 2||EPL|
|30-Mar-2014||Liverpool 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|27-Mar-2014||Liverpool 2 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed