- America (EN)
- United Kingdom (EN)
- India (EN)
- Ireland (EN)
- Malaysia (EN)
- Singapore (EN)
- Canada (EN)
- Australia (EN)
- Nigeria (EN)
- Ghana (EN)
- Kenya (EN)
- South Africa (EN)
- España (ES)
- Argentina (ES)
La Liga Preview: Real Madrid - Athletic Bilbao
Jose Mourinho's side welcome the Basque outfit to Santiago Bernabeu just four days after the Clasico defeat at the hands of Barcelona
By Martin Macdonald
Arbeloa, Ramos, Carvalho, Coentrao
Xabi Alonso, Diarra
Callejon, Ozil, Ronaldo
Iraola, Martinez, Amorebieta, San Jose
Susaeta, De Marcos, Muniain
Jose Mourinho has a few selection issues going into the game at Santiago Bernabeu. Pepe looks set to miss two weeks of action after picking up a hamstring strain in the Clasico during the week.
There are also some doubts over the fitness of Sami Khedira, who sprained his ankle in the match against Malaga, and Angel Di Maria, who picked up an injury in training.
Alvaro Arbeloa returns from his suspension and should slot in at right-back, while Jose Callejon may be given a chance on the right-hand side with Di Maria out injured.
Athletic have a number of players currently being treated for a variety of problems. Aitor Ocio, Carlos Gurpegi, Xabi Castillo, Igor Martinez, and Igor Gabilondo are all currently undergoing physiotherapy, and all are doubtful.
Fernando Amorebieta has a minor sprain in his left ankle and trained apart from his team-mates during the week, but is likely to be included in the starting XI for this huge match.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The last time Real Madrid played Athletic Bilbao, Jose Mourinho's side came away with a 3-0 away victory at San Mames, with Kaka grabbing a brace and Cristiano Ronaldo scoring to seal the win.
- Iker Casillas will make his 600th appearance for Real Madrid in this match.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored just five goals less than the entire Athletic Bilbao squad so far this season in La Liga. The Portuguese has netted 21 times and the Basque outfit have scored 26 times.
- Athletic Bilbao are currently in fifth place in La Liga on 26 points, just four away from the coveted Champions League positions.
- The Basque side last defeated Real Madrid in January 2010, thanks to an early Fernando Llorente goal which gave them a narrow 1-0 victory.
- Llorente is Athletic's top goalscorer this season with seven goals in 14 appearances.
Top 3 Predictions
Real Madrid 3-0 Athletic Bilbao
- 12.91 %
Real Madrid 3-1 Athletic Bilbao
- 11.96 %
Real Madrid 4-1 Athletic Bilbao
- 10.24 %
|La Liga (LIGA)||15-Apr-2013||Athletic Bilbao 0 - Real Madrid 3|
|La Liga (LIGA)||18-Nov-2012||Real Madrid 5 - Athletic Bilbao 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||03-May-2012||Athletic Bilbao 0 - Real Madrid 3|
|La Liga (LIGA)||23-Jan-2012||Real Madrid 4 - Athletic Bilbao 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||09-Apr-2011||Athletic Bilbao 0 - Real Madrid 3|
|18-May-2013||Real Madrid 1 - Atletico de Madrid 2||ESPC|
|12-May-2013||Espanyol 1 - Real Madrid 1||LIGA|
|09-May-2013||Real Madrid 6 - Malaga 2||LIGA|
|04-May-2013||Real Madrid 4 - Valladolid 3||LIGA|
|01-May-2013||Real Madrid 2 - Borussia Dortmund 0||UCL|
|18||Raúl Albiol Tortajada||Defender|
|6||Mikel San José Domínguez||Defender|
|9||Fernando Llorente Torres||Striker|
|10||Óscar De Marcos||Midfielder|
|13||Raúl Fernández Mateos||Goalkeeper|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed