International Friendly Preview: Australia v Malaysia
The 2011 Asian Cup runners-up will play host to the Malayan Tigers, who are ranked 147th in the world, in a friendly in the Australian capital Canberra on Friday
By Ben Somerford
Williams, Neill, Spiranovic, Zullo
McKay, Valeri, Jedinak, Troisi
Mahali, Asrarudin, Norhafiz, Mohamad
Joseph, Rohidan, Kunanlan, Baddrol
Those omissions leave Australia under-strength, but in-form Reading keeper Adam Federici will deputise for Schwarzer, while Brett Holman should lead the line alongside Nagoya hitman Joshua Kennedy. There should also be opportunities for some younger players.
Malaysia coach K. Rajagopal has called up 26 players for the Australia trip, but has opted to leave out four big names in captain Safiq Rahim, Aidil Zafuan, Amirul Hadi Zainal and Ashaari Samsudin. Rising star Joseph Kalang could replace Rahim in midfield, while striker Safee Sali is a player to watch after a recent trial at Cardiff City.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Australia are ranked 19th in the world just above the likes of Mexico and Serbia, while Malaysia are down in equal 147th alongside Oceania's Fiji.
- These two nations have met six times, with the Socceroos victorious on six occasions while the Malayan Tigers triumphed once.
- The Socceroos are unbeaten since their extra-time 2011 Asian Cup final loss to Japan, winning five of their six games, including victories away to Germany, Wales and Saudi Arabia.
- Australia's last international match in Canberra was a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Kuwait in March 2009, when an entirely local-based side was fielded. That game was Australia's last loss on home soil.
- Malaysia will co-host the ASEAN Football Federation Championship with Thailand next year, with the Malayan Tigers having won the tournament in 2010 under Rajagopal.
- The Malayan Tigers bowed out of 2014 World Cup qualifying in the second round in Asia, after losing 6-4 on aggregate to South-East Asian rivals Singapore.
Goal_asia now has its own account, so for all the latest news and features on Asian football follow us.
Download the Goal.com Mobile app, and the world of football will be at your fingertips and in your pocket!
Top 3 Predictions
Australia 0-1 Malaysia
- 11.15 %
Australia 3-0 Malaysia
- 10.39 %
Australia 2-1 Malaysia
- 8.85 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||07-Oct-2011||Australia 5 - Malaysia 0|
|19-Nov-2013||Australia 1 - Costa Rica 0||FR|
|16-Oct-2013||Canada 0 - Australia 3||FR|
|12-Oct-2013||France 6 - Australia 0||FR|
|08-Sep-2013||Brazil 6 - Australia 0||FR|
|28-Jul-2013||Australia 3 - China 4||EAFF|
|2||Lucas Edward Neill||Defender|
|9||Joshua Blake Kennedy||Striker|
|22||Khairul Fahmi bin Che Mat||Goalkeeper|
|-||Norhafiz Zamani Misbah|
|-||Joseph Kalang Tie|
|25||Mohd Zubir bin Mohd Azmi||Defender|
|-||Wan Zaharulnizam bin Wan Zakaria|
|18||Yong Kuong Yong||Striker|
|-||Izzaq Faris Ramlan||Striker|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed