Manchester City - Bayern Munich Preview: Roberto Mancini's Men Face Uphill Struggle To Qualify For Next Round Of Champions League
Hosts are reliant on results elsewhere to ensure progression to the knockout stages of the competition, but still need to take three points from the German side on Wednesday
By Joe Doyle
Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy
Barry, Yaya Toure, Milner
Silva, Dzeko, Aguero
Lahm, Badstuber, Van Buyten, Boateng
Luis Gustavo, Alba
Robben, Kroos, Ribery
Samir Nasri may be the player to miss out with Edin Dzeko looking set to return to the lineup, while Mancini has an interesting choice to make in the full-back slots as Bayern winger Arjen Robben is in fine form, coming off the bench to score twice at the weekend.
For Bayern, Thomas Mueller could miss out as he is suffering from a cold. He could yet make the starting lineup, but don’t be surprised to see Toni Kroos playing just off Mario Gomez.
However, Bayern could also field a slightly weakened team as they have already qualified for the knockout stages.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City’s 2-0 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Allianz Arena in September is the only time the Premier League leaders have failed to score this season in their 23 matches.
- For City to progress, they will have to beat Bayern and hope that Villarreal – who have yet to take a point this season in the competition – do not get beaten by second-placed Napoli at home.
- Bayern Munich’s last visit to England ended in elimination for City’s neighbours Manchester United as the English side went out on away goals.
- Samir Nasri and Franck Ribery have played together for France and at Marseille.
- Ribery has been fouled 23 times in five games so far in this year’s Champions League, more than any other player.
- Both teams have four players nominated for the FIFA FIFPro World XI. City’s four players are: Vincent Kompany, David Silva, Yaya Toure and Serio Aguero. Bayern’s players are: Manuel Neuer, Phillipp Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Mario Gomez.
- Manuel Neuer won €500,000 (£427,000) for charity last month in the German version of the ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?’ television show.
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City 1-2 Bayern
- 14.09 %
Manchester City 2-1 Bayern
- 13.3 %
Manchester City 2-0 Bayern
- 9.26 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||11-Dec-2013||Bayern 2 - Manchester City 3|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||03-Oct-2013||Manchester City 1 - Bayern 3|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||02-Aug-2013||Manchester City 1 - Bayern 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||08-Dec-2011||Manchester City 2 - Bayern 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||28-Sep-2011||Bayern 2 - Manchester City 0|
|09-Mar-2014||Manchester City 1 - Wigan Athletic 2||FA|
|02-Mar-2014||Manchester City 3 - Sunderland 1||CCUP|
|22-Feb-2014||Manchester City 1 - Stoke 0||EPL|
|19-Feb-2014||Manchester City 0 - Barcelona 2||UCL|
|15-Feb-2014||Manchester City 2 - Chelsea FC 0||FA|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|