Siena - AC Milan Preview: Rossoneri aim to avoid slip-up in hope of catching Serie A title rivals Juventus
The hosts have virtually assured their top-flight status for next season with a positive run, so Allegri's side will have their work cut out for them as they chase the Scudetto
By Adam Scime
Vitiello, Rosettini, Terzi, Del Grosso
Mannini, Vergassola, Gazzi, Brienza
Abate, Bonera, Mexes, Antonini
Gattuso, Van Bommel, Muntari
Siena's recent positive form has seen them move up to 10th in the standings and coach Giuseppe Sannino will be hoping playmaker Franco Brienza and forward Mattia Destro can both light up the stage once again this week, as they have been pivotal to the Robur's cause in recent matches.
However, he may have to turn to veteran Erjon Bogdan as Destro's partner, as Emanuele Calaio has been ruled out for the rest of the season and Pablo Gonzalez is also injured. Defender Andrea Rossi is suspended, but left-back Cristiano Del Grosso should re-enter the fray after missing the 1-1 draw with Bologna in midweek.
Despite hope Thiago Silva could return, AC Milan remain without the talented centre-back who continues to nurse a muscle injury. Veteran Alessandro Nesta may rest after he has featured constantly in recent fixtures, so Philippe Mexes and Daniele Bonera could make up their defensive pairing.
Striker Alexandre Pato and combative midfielder Massimo Ambrosini are on the sidelines, but Kevin-Prince Boateng, who scored the winner versus Genoa on Wednesday, should start behind Zlatan Ibrahimovic and one of Stephan El Shaarawy or Antonio Cassano. A couple other attacking options, Clarence Seedorf and Robinho, have been left out of the match squad by coach Massimiliano Allegri.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Siena have lost just two of their last 10 Serie A matches, winning six of those. They currently sit eight points above the relegation zone with four games remaining.
- Destro has scored in five of his last six appearances for the Robur. The 21-year-old has 10 goals in 27 appearances this campaign.
- The Tuscan club have not beaten Milan in league play since April 2005.
- AC Milan have come out as the victors on the last six occasions they have faced Siena in Serie A.
- Despite recent struggles on home soil, the Rossoneri have won five of their last six league matches on the road.
- The Rossoneri have the best attack in Serie A (scoring 64 times) and Ibrahimovic is the top-scorer thus far this season (with 24 goals).
Top 3 Predictions
Siena 0-2 Milan
- 21.77 %
Siena 0-3 Milan
- 11.74 %
Siena 1-0 Milan
- 10.89 %
|Serie A (SR-A)||20-May-2013||Siena 1 - Milan 2|
|Serie A (SR-A)||06-Jan-2013||Milan 2 - Siena 1|
|Serie A (SR-A)||29-Apr-2012||Siena 1 - Milan 4|
|Serie A (SR-A)||18-Dec-2011||Milan 2 - Siena 0|
|Serie A (SR-A)||17-Jan-2010||Milan 4 - Siena 0|
|08-Mar-2014||Trapani 0 - Siena 2||ITA2|
|01-Mar-2014||Siena 1 - Empoli 1||ITA2|
|22-Feb-2014||Ternana 2 - Siena 2||ITA2|
|15-Feb-2014||Siena 1 - Juve Stabia 0||ITA2|
|08-Feb-2014||Bari 2 - Siena 1||ITA2|
|27||Cristiano Del Grosso||Defender|
|17||Mark van Bommel||Midfielder|
|8||Gennaro Ivan Gattuso||Midfielder|
|92||Stephan El Shaarawy||Striker|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed