Augsburg - Schalke Preview: Hosts look to extend good run of firm and ensure Bundesliga survival
Huub Stevens' men can strengthen their grip on third place with victory over the struggling Bavarians, who have clambered out of the drop zone in recent weeks
By Enis Koylu
Verhaegh, Sankoh, Langkamp, Ostrzolek
Ndjeng, Koo, Bellinghausen
Howedes, Matip, Metzelder, Escudero
Farfan, Raul, Draxler
Jos Luhukay will be without several players for the visit of the Gelsenkirchen side. Dawda Bah is recovering from knee surgery, Akaki Gogia has a ligament problem, Stephan Hain has a thigh complaint, while Marcel de Jong remains sidelined.
After scoring in last weekend's 2-1 victory against Wolfsburg, Torsten Oehrl is likely to keep his place up front ahead of Nando Rafael.
Huub Stevens will be forced into two changes from the side that lost last week's Ruhr derby to Borussia Dortmund. Kyriakos Papadopoulos has a hamstring knock, and will replace Joel Matip alongside Christoph Metzelder at the heart of defence.
Meanwhile, Christian Fuchs is suspended after accumulating five yellow cards across the course of the season, leaving Sergio Escudero to take his place at left-back. Ralf Fahrmann and Timo Hildebrand remain sidelined with knee and elbow injuries respectively.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The last four Bundesliga games featuring Augsburg have featured at least three goals.
- Prior to Jos Luhukay's men 3-1 home defeat to Stuttgart on April 10, the Bavarians had beat unbeaten in eight Bundesliga home games, keeping five clean sheets in five of those encounters.
- This is the first time that the SGL Arena side have entertained Schalke in the Bundesliga.
- However, Schalke did play in Augsburg last season, when they won 1-0 en route to winning the DFB-Pokal.
- Raul (pictured, right) announced that he will be leaving the Veltins Arena at the end of the season. The Spaniard has scored 39 goals in 94 so far in his career in Germany.
- Since the Bundesliga's inception in 1963, Schalke have spent just five campaigns outside the top flight. This is Augsburg's first season among Germany's elite.
Top 3 Predictions
FC Augsburg 0-2 Schalke 04
- 15.6 %
FC Augsburg 1-3 Schalke 04
- 12.2 %
FC Augsburg 1-2 Schalke 04
- 11.4 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||05-Oct-2013||Schalke 04 4 - FC Augsburg 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||26-Jan-2013||FC Augsburg 0 - Schalke 04 0|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||01-Sep-2012||Schalke 04 3 - FC Augsburg 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||22-Apr-2012||FC Augsburg 1 - Schalke 04 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||04-Dec-2011||Schalke 04 3 - FC Augsburg 1|
|08-Mar-2014||Mönchengladbach 1 - FC Augsburg 2||BUN|
|01-Mar-2014||FC Augsburg 1 - Hannover 96 1||BUN|
|22-Feb-2014||SC Freiburg 2 - FC Augsburg 4||BUN|
|16-Feb-2014||FC Augsburg 0 - FC Nürnberg 1||BUN|
|09-Feb-2014||VfB Stuttgart 1 - FC Augsburg 4||BUN|
|17||Jefferson Agustin Farfán||Striker|
|19||Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi||Striker|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed