Borussia Dortmund - Mainz Preview: BVB aim to end seven-year wait for a home win against the Oh-Fives
Jurgen Klopp's men seem unstoppable at the moment, but face a potentially tricky tie at the Signal Iduna Park against Thomas Tuchel's plucky minnows, led by Mohamed Zidan
By Vasil Kotsev
Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer
Kuba, Kagawa, Grosskreutz
Caligiuri, Bungert, Noveski, Zabavnik
Baumgartlinger, Polanski, Soto
Jurgen Klopp will be glad to welcome back Sven Bender, who has recovered from a serious head injury he picked up in the 3-1 win against Hannover in the last round after he was kicked by Mame Biram Diouf.
Captain Sebastian Kehl, however, is banned for the game after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season, while Mario Gotze is not expected to return to first-team action for at least two weeks. Julian Koch is also unavailable as he is still recovering from his long-term injury.
For Mainz defender Jan Kirchhoff is automatically banned for Saturday's clash after accumulating five yellow cards. Thomas Tuchel will also be unable to rely on Stefan Bell, Zdenek Pospech, Marcel Risse and Bo Svensson, who are recovering from injuries.
||DID YOU KNOW|
- Borussia Dortmund have not won at home against Mainz for almost seven years.
- Goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller is set to make his 250th appearance in the Bundesliga on Saturday.
- Mats Hummels' last legue goal was scored against Mainz nearly a year ago.
- Mainz are on a five-game unbeaten streak, and picked up their biggest win of the season in last round as they trashed Kaiserslautern 4-0.
- The man at the heart of the Oh-Fives' resurgence of late is Mohamed Zidan, who transferred to Thomas Tuchel's team from no other than Dortmund in January. In four games for Mainz, the striker has bagged four goals and given one assist.
- Six of the last 12 games between the Oh-Fives and BVB have ended in a draw.
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Mainz
- 17.88 %
Borussia Dortmund 3-1 Mainz
- 17.88 %
Borussia Dortmund 3-0 Mainz
- 14.23 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||30-Nov-2013||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||20-Apr-2013||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Mainz 0|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||24-Nov-2012||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||03-Mar-2012||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Mainz 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||24-Sep-2011||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|21-Dec-2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Hertha BSC 2||BUN|
|14-Dec-2013||TSG Hoffenheim 2 - Borussia Dortmund 2||BUN|
|12-Dec-2013||Olympique de Marseille 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2||UCL|
|07-Dec-2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - Bayer Leverkusen 1||BUN|
|04-Dec-2013||1. FC Saarbruecken 0 - Borussia Dortmund 2||GERC|
|8||Antônio da Silva||Midfielder|
|10||Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting||Striker|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed