Bundesliga Preview: Bayern Munich v Borussia Dortmund
With only five points between them at the top of the table, Saturday's clash between two of Germany's biggest clubs promises to be one of the most exciting games of the season
By Stephen Crawford
Boateng, Van Buyten, Badstuber, Lahm
Luiz Gustavo, Alaba
Muller, Kroos, Ribery
Piszczek, Felipe Santana, Hummels, Lowe
Gotze, Kagawa, Grosskreutz
With Anatoliy Tymoshchuk suspended, Luiz Gustavo takes his place as Bayern's anchor. Some would expect Kroos to set up shop next to him as the Bavarians' second pivot after his glittering displays for Germany, but Jupp Heynckes publicly stated on Wednesday that young Toni would not be taking Bastian Schweinsteiger's place – so Alaba starts in central midfield.
In defence, Jerome Boateng returns from suspension, so expect Rafinha to drop to the bench. In attack, Arjen Robben has been passed fit, although Heynckes may wish to use the Dutchman sparingly.
Having fractured his cheekbone in a clash with Wolfsburg's Sotirios Kyrgiakos at the start of the month, while Neven Subotic is still a few weeks from a return to action for Dortmund. Felipe Santana will deputise at centre-back, and elsewhere in the back line, Marcel Schmelzer's availability will be subject to a late decision by Jurgen Klopp.
||DID YOU KNOW|
- These two teams have met each other a total of 85 times. Bayern are in the lead in terms of games won with 39, while Dortmund have only 20.
- Dortmund can close in on Bayern's lead at the top of the Bundesliga to a meagre two points if they pick up an away win at the Allianz Arena, although Bayern still have a vastly superior goal difference with +28 to BVB's +17.
- From 1995-2009, Dortmund star Mats Hummels, now considered to be amongst the best defenders in the Bundesliga, was a Bayern Munich youth and fringe player.
- Mario Gomez is amongst the very top scorers at club level in Europe this season with a mammoth tally of 13. Dortmund's closest is Robert Lewandowski with eight.
- Dortmund are unbeaten in seven games, while Bayern are on a four-match winning streak.
Download the Goal.com Mobile app, and the world of football will be at your fingertips and in your pocket!
Top 3 Predictions
Bayern 3-0 Borussia Dortmund
- 14.31 %
Bayern 2-0 Borussia Dortmund
- 12.28 %
Bayern 3-1 Borussia Dortmund
- 11.46 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||23-Nov-2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - Bayern 3|
|Germany - Super Cup (GERS)||28-Jul-2013||Borussia Dortmund 4 - Bayern 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||26-May-2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Bayern 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||04-May-2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Bayern 1|
|Germany - DFB-Pokal (GERC)||28-Feb-2013||Bayern 1 - Borussia Dortmund 0|
|11-Dec-2013||Bayern 2 - Manchester City 3||UCL|
|07-Dec-2013||Werder Bremen 0 - Bayern 7||BUN|
|05-Dec-2013||FC Augsburg 0 - Bayern 2||GERC|
|30-Nov-2013||Bayern 2 - Eintracht Braunschweig 0||BUN|
|27-Nov-2013||CSKA Moscow 1 - Bayern 3||UCL|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|
|8||Antônio da Silva||Midfielder|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed