Bundesliga Preview: Mainz V Borussia Dortmund
Goal.com previews the action as the reigning champions clash with Thomas Tuchel's men in an attempt to turn around their recent slump in form with a win on Saturday
By Vasil Kotsev
|Mainz (4-2-3-1): Muller; Bungert, Svensson, Noveski, Pospech; Polanski, Soto; Risse, Ivanschitz, Choupo-Moting; Allagui||
Mainz have been in poor form recently, as head coach Thomas Tuchel and his men will be looking to bounce back against the reigning Bundesliga champions with a near full-strength team. Only Florian Heller and ex-Real Madrid man Adam Szalai are unavailable for this game.
|Borussia Dortmund (4-2-3-1): Weidenfeller; Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Lowe; Gundogan, Kehl; Gotze, Kagawa, Perisic; Lewandowski
Chris Lowe will slot back into the team after Germany international Marcel Schmelzer was ruled out with yet another injury. Julian Koch and Marvin Bakalorz are the other absentees for Jurgen Klopp's men, who will be looking for their first win since round two of the Bundesliga.
The pairing in the centre of the pitch is anybody's guess, but it is believed that captain Sebastian Kehl will be partnered by either Ilkay Gundogan or Sven Bender. Ivan Perisic is set to play on the left side of the attacking midfield trident, replacing Kevin Grosskreutz, who has lost his place in the starting line-up after some poor performances recently.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Mainz have lost their last two home games, conceding eight goals in the process.
- The hosts on Saturday have never scored more than a single goal in a match against BVB.
- After six rounds, Mainz have slipped in the lower half of the table for the first time since Thomas Tuchel took over the team two years ago.
- Borussia Dortmund have a negative record coming into matchday seven. In 26 years, only Stuttgart have done as badly as reigning champions.
- Last season's away win over Mainz (0-2) placed BVB at the top of the table, and they never surrendered the top spot until the end of the term.
- Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp spent 18 years as a player and seven years as a coach at Mainz before leaving for BVB in 2008.
Download the Goal.com Mobile app, and the world of football will be at your fingertips and in your pocket!
Top 3 Predictions
Mainz 0-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 26.74 %
Mainz 1-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 16.04 %
Mainz 0-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 11.77 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||30-Nov-2013||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||20-Apr-2013||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Mainz 0|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||24-Nov-2012||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||03-Mar-2012||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Mainz 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||24-Sep-2011||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|09-Mar-2014||Mainz 1 - Hertha BSC 1||BUN|
|01-Mar-2014||Bayer Leverkusen 0 - Mainz 1||BUN|
|22-Feb-2014||Schalke 04 0 - Mainz 0||BUN|
|15-Feb-2014||Mainz 2 - Hannover 96 0||BUN|
|08-Feb-2014||VfL Wolfsburg 3 - Mainz 0||BUN|
|10||Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting||Striker|
|8||Antônio da Silva||Midfielder|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed