Swansea - Arsenal Preview: Thierry Henry Looks To Continue Record Of Scoring Against Every Premier League Opponent
As Arsene Wenger's side shape up for their first ever Premier League appearance at the Liberty Stadium, they will again be hindered by a spate of long term injuries to defenders
By Edward Tibbles
Caulker, Williams, Taylor, Rangel
Dyer, Allen, Orlandi, Routledge
Djourou, Koscielny, Squillaci, Miquel
Arteta, Ramsey, Song
Walcott, Van Persie, Henry
Brendan Rodgers will be happy that he has an almost full squad to choose from. Michel Vorm, Joe Allen, Steven Caulker and Scott Sinclair will all probably be back after being rested against Barnsley in the FA Cup, while Gylfi Sigurdsson could get a full debut.
It is likely Rodgers will opt for the pace of Wayne Routledge, Nathan Dyer and Sinclair to take advantage of the makeshift Arsenal defence.
Also eligible to face the Gunners are two youngsters whose transfers recently received international clearance - former France youth international captain Darnel Situ, a defender, who joined from Lens and has been training with the Swans since August; and Rory Donnelly, a Northern Ireland Under-21 international striker who has arrived from Cliftonville. One or both could possibly make the bench.
For Arsenal, Thierry Henry is likely to come in for Gervinho, who is on international duty, as is Marouane Chamakh. Arsene Wenger continues to be without a host of defenders, including Thomas Vermaelen, Bacary Sagna, Kieran Gibbs, Carl Jenkinson and Andre Santos, who are all injured. Anotherr defender, Per Mertesacker, was suffering from sickness along with Tomas Rosicky, and both are doubts to face Swansea. Jack Wilshere remains sidelined.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Thierry Henry (pictured right) has scored against each of the last 34 teams which he has faced in the Premier League.
- Arsenal have won their last three league games against Swansea by a one goal margin the first two coming in the 1982-83 season.
- Andrey Arshavin’s freak winner against Swansea earlier in the season is the Russian’s only goal in the Premier League this season in 16 appearances.
- Michel Vorm has the most clean sheets in the Premier League this season with nine, only Manchester United have more clean sheets but are shared between David De Gea and Anders Lindegaard.
- Even though Swansea have an impressive clean sheet record they are also the side who have failed to score in a game the most times, being shut out nine times.
- Swansea have only failed to win twice in the seven games in which they have taken the lead, drawing one and losing the other.
- Swansea have the joint worst away form in the league, only taking six points on the road, but have lost only once at home - to Manchester United - so will happy to welcome Arsenal to the Liberty Stadium.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
Top 3 Predictions
Swansea City 0-3 Arsenal
- 15.96 %
Swansea City 0-2 Arsenal
- 15.73 %
Swansea City 1-3 Arsenal
- 14.55 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||26-Mar-2014||Arsenal 2 - Swansea City 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||28-Sep-2013||Swansea City 1 - Arsenal 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||16-Mar-2013||Swansea City 0 - Arsenal 2|
|FA Cup (FA)||17-Jan-2013||Arsenal 1 - Swansea City 0|
|FA Cup (FA)||06-Jan-2013||Swansea City 2 - Arsenal 2|
|19-Apr-2014||Newcastle 1 - Swansea City 2||EPL|
|13-Apr-2014||Swansea City 0 - Chelsea FC 1||EPL|
|05-Apr-2014||Hull 1 - Swansea City 0||EPL|
|29-Mar-2014||Swansea City 3 - Norwich City 0||EPL|
|26-Mar-2014||Arsenal 2 - Swansea City 2||EPL|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed