Chelsea - Arsenal Preview: Gunners Face Toughest Test Of Their Revival In London Grudge Match
Both sides ran out winners in their midweek League Cup ties but the Blues will now hope to get their Premier League title challenge back on track after disappointment against QPR
By David Lynch
Bosingwa, Terry, Luiz, Cole
Mikel, Lampard, Meireles
Mata, Torres, Sturridge
Djourou, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Santos
Arteta, Song, Ramsey
Gervinho, Van Persie, Walcott
Ross Turnbull’s red card in that match meant they played a second game in four days at a numerical disadvantage, but should be able to freshen up their squad sufficiently ahead of the Gunners’ visit.
Fernando Torres is expected to make his league return, replacing the suspended Didier Drogba, and is in fine form after two recent Champions League goals against Genk.
Arsene Wenger’s much-changed League Cup team managed to come from behind to win against Bolton in midweek.
That tie allowed Arsenal to rest much of their first team but saw the return from injury of Thomas Vermaelen, however, the Belgian is unlikely to make the starting lineup in the league game.
Robin van Persie is likely to return to the starting XI after coming from the bench to help the Gunners beat Stoke in their last league game.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- These teams have faced each other 38 times in the Premier League.
- Arsenal have won 16 matches of those matches with a Chelsea win and a draw occurring on 11 occasions each.
- Chelsea are without the suspended Didier Drogba (right), who has scored in their last three victories over the Gunners.
- These sides have received a total of eight red cards so far this season – Chelsea with five and Arsenal three.
- Chelsea have finished above their London rivals in each of the last seven seasons.
- If selected, Ashley Cole will be making his 157th league appearance for Chelsea, finally surpassing his league appearance total for Arsenal.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea FC 3-0 Arsenal
- 20.88 %
Chelsea FC 1-2 Arsenal
- 18.22 %
Chelsea FC 3-1 Arsenal
- 9.44 %
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||30-Oct-2013||Arsenal 0 - Chelsea FC 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||20-Jan-2013||Chelsea FC 2 - Arsenal 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||29-Sep-2012||Arsenal 1 - Chelsea FC 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||21-Apr-2012||Arsenal 0 - Chelsea FC 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||29-Oct-2011||Chelsea FC 3 - Arsenal 5|
|07-Dec-2013||Stoke 3 - Chelsea FC 2||EPL|
|05-Dec-2013||Sunderland 3 - Chelsea FC 4||EPL|
|01-Dec-2013||Chelsea FC 3 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|27-Nov-2013||Basel 1 - Chelsea FC 0||UCL|
|23-Nov-2013||West Ham 0 - Chelsea FC 3||EPL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed