Euro 2012 Qualifier Preview: Italy - Slovenia
The hosts look to seal their place in next year's European Championships by picking up an invaluable three points against a Slovenian side gunning for the runners-up spot
By Livio Caferoglu
Italy (4-3-1-2): Buffon; Cassani, Ranocchia, Chiellini, Criscito; Pirlo, De Rossi, Motta; Montolivo; Cassano, Rossi
It is likely that La Nazionale will make a change in defence, where Mattia Cassani should replace Christian Maggio at right-back. The new Fiorentina man hinted that he could be given a chance in the side, after expressing his hope at being presented in Florence on Tuesday night, where he has recently completed a transfer. However, Cesare Prandelli has also indicated that he will not make any major changes to the line-up that struggled to beat Faroe Islands.
|Slovenia (4-4-2): Handanovic; Brecko, Cesar, Ilic, Jokic; Koren, Radosavlevic, Ilicic, Birsa; Novakovic, Matavz|
Slovenia are expected to name the same team that surprisingly lost to Estonia last week, which may prove to be a significant blow to their qualifying aspirations. However, it is still a very strong squad they possess, which includes five Serie A representatives and two Eredivisie performers in their ranks, aswell as the odd Bundesliga and Belgian Pro League talent.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Italy coach Prandelli returned to Fiorentina for his first home qualifier as national team boss, a 5-0 victory against the Faroe Islands on 7 September last year.
- They prevailed 1-0 when they met Slovenia in Ljubljana on 25 March, where Brazilian-born Thiago Motta (picture right) scored the only goal of the game on his Azzurri debut.
- Italy's record in six games against their neighbours from the west reads three wins, one defeat and two losses, with two wins coming on home soil.
- All five meetings since their first encounter have been settled by a single goal.
- The countries last met on October 8 2005 for the 2006 World Cup qualifiers, as a 1-1 draw was played out, with Bostjan Cesar scoring a late equaliser for the hosts.
- Italy top Group C with 16 points from their six matches to date, while Slovenia lie in second, five points behind their opponents.
- Slovenia contain five players who ply their trade in Italy; Samir Handanovic, Valter Birsa, Bojan Jokic, Bostjan Cesar and Josip Ilicic.
- The Slovenians have won just one of their last four qualifiers, with Northern Ireland lurking just two points behind them, with a game in hand.
Download the Goal.com Mobile app, and the world of football will be at your fingertips and in your pocket!
Top 3 Predictions
Italy 2-0 Slovenia
- 33.17 %
Italy 3-0 Slovenia
- 15.85 %
Italy 1-0 Slovenia
- 12.26 %
|Euro 2012 (EC)||07-Sep-2011||Italy 1 - Slovenia 0|
|Euro 2012 (EC)||26-Mar-2011||Slovenia 0 - Italy 1|
|19-Nov-2013||Italy 2 - Nigeria 2||FR|
|16-Nov-2013||Italy 1 - Germany 1||FR|
|16-Oct-2013||Italy 2 - Armenia 2||WCQE|
|11-Oct-2013||Denmark 2 - Italy 2||WCQE|
|11-Sep-2013||Italy 2 - Czech Republic 1||WCQE|
|16||Daniele De Rossi||Midfielder|
|-||Morgan De Sanctis|