Copa America Preview: Argentina - Colombia
The hosts will look to perform well in front of their home crowd as they take on Colombia in the second round of games of Group A
By Roger Gonzalez
|Argentina: Romero; Zanetti, Milito, Burdisso, Zabaleta; Cambiasso, Mascherano, Banega; Lavezzi, Tevez, Messi|
|Colombia: Martinez; Zuniga, Yepes, Perea, Armero; Sanchez; D. Moreno, Guarin, Aguilar, Ramos; Falcao
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Argentina are tied with Uruguay for most Copa America titles with 14.
- In the 42 Copa America's held prior to the 2011 edition, Argentina has appeared in the final 26 times.
- Striker Diego Milito and defender Gabriel Milito are brothers. They both played together with Spanish club Real Zaragoza from 2005-07. However, they also battled each other in one of the world's fiercest rivalries. In the Avellaneda derby, in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Diego played for Racing while Gabriel played for Independiente.
- Messi was born in Rosario, Argentina. It is the largest city in the province of Santa Fe, where the match will take place.
- Colombia have won one Copa America title. The victory game in 2001 when they hosted the tournament, taking down Mexico 1-0 in the final with a goal by defender Ivan Cordoba.
- The national side finished one point behind Uruguay for fifth place in South America's World Cup Qualifying for South Africa 2010. Colombia also finished one point behind Uruguay in qualifying for the 2006 World Cup. Fifth place in South America results in a two-leg play-off for a spot in the tournament.
- Three players in Colombia's squad play for Italian club Udinese. Cristian Zapata, Pablo Armero and Juan Cuadrado all play club football for 2011-12 Champions League participants.
- Falcao has scored 73 goals in 85 games in his two seasons with Porto, averaging nearly a goal per game. But, for Colombia, the star striker averages a sitrke every four games, scoring seven times in 28 appearances.
- Mario Yepes, the Milan defender who has 77 caps and over ten years of experience in the national team, still has a long way to go to catch the cap leader, Carlos Valderrama. The magical midfielder has 111 caps.
Follow Goal.com on . Get the latest football news direct... Check out Goal.com's page; be part of the best football fan community in the world!
Top 3 Predictions
Argentina 2-0 Colombia
- 18.14 %
Argentina 3-1 Colombia
- 15.1 %
Argentina 2-1 Colombia
- 12.37 %
|World Cup Qualifying - South America (WCQS)||08-Jun-2013||Argentina 0 - Colombia 0|
|World Cup Qualifying - South America (WCQS)||16-Nov-2011||Colombia 1 - Argentina 2|
|Copa America (CA)||07-Jul-2011||Argentina 0 - Colombia 0|
|World Cup Qualifying - South America (WCQS)||07-Jun-2009||Argentina 1 - Colombia 0|
|World Cup Qualifying - South America (WCQS)||21-Nov-2007||Colombia 2 - Argentina 1|
|19-Nov-2013||Argentina 2 - Bosnia and Herzegovina 0||FR|
|16-Nov-2013||Ecuador 0 - Argentina 0||FR|
|16-Oct-2013||Uruguay 3 - Argentina 2||WCQS|
|12-Oct-2013||Argentina 3 - Peru 1||WCQS|
|11-Sep-2013||Paraguay 2 - Argentina 5||WCQS|
|7||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
|-||Abel Enrique Aguilar|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed