thumbnail Hello,


  • 26 October 2013
  • • 15:30
  • • Shree Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Pune, Mahārāṣṭra

Mumbai FC 0-1 Mohun Bagan

Mumbai FC 0-1 Mohun Bagan: Mariners edge past the Mumbaikars

Mumbai FC 0-1 Mohun Bagan

AIFF Media

Karim Bencherifa’s side registered their second victory on the trot as they won their first away encounter

Mumbai FC’s poor form at home continued as they went down to Mohun Bagan 1-0 at the Shree Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Pune on Saturday. A Manish Bhargav goal was enough to seal the points for the Green and Maroon brigade who were down to ten-men in the injury time of the second half after Shankar Oraon was sent off.

Mumbai FC made one change to their line-up with Manuel D’Souza coming in for Dane Pereira.  Karim Bencherifa dropped Eric Muranda in favour of Shankar Oraon upfront alongside Chinadorai Sabeeth. Nicolau Borges, Shouvik Ghosh, Pritam Kotal and Adil Khan  also made their way into the line-up.

Mohun Bagan had the first chance when Chinadorai Sabeeth was through on goal but he tamely sent the ball straight into the hands of the Mumbai FC custodian.

The away side did indeed find the back of the net only for referee Tejas Nagvenkar to rule it out as Katsumi Yusa had carried the ball out of play before finding Shouvik Ghosh who did the needful in the 12th minute.

Bagan survived a scare in the very next minute as Sanjdar Ahmadi’s free-kick took a deflection and went for a corner with goalkeeper Shilton Paul stranded.

The home side had a golden opportunity to surge ahead in the 21st minute when Jayesh Rane instead of shooting, cut the ball back across the face of goal with no Mumbai FC player in the area to tap it in when Paul had come off his line.

The scoreline remained goalless at half-time.

However it was the away team who started better after the break as Yusa sprinted down the left to cut inside and find Sabeeth who missed a sitter. Zakeer Mundampara’s effort on the rebound was saved by Sawant.

Pritam Kotal sent in a cross from the right which was headed in by Manish Bhargav as Bagan took the lead in the 53rd minute.

Thereafter Rane was sent a through-ball which he lets it go thinking the goalkeeper would gather. But Paul miss-kicked it as he totally misread the bounce of the ball before clearing the danger hastily.

The away side looked to contain the opposition in their bid to keep their lead intact. A couple of quick counterattacks launched by the opposition were brought to halt by the alert backline of Bagan.

In the 80th minute, Nicholas Rodrigues had a free-kick just outside the box but he hits it straight into the hands of the keeper.

Paul was at his best in the 87th minute as he flew to punch out a dangerous free-kick by Ahmadi to keep the scoreline intact.

Oraon was given his marching orders late in the game for his foul on Rohit Mirza which saw Bagan end the game with ten-men.

 How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.