thumbnail Hello,


  • 26 October 2013
  • • 14:30
  • • Yuba Bharati Krirangan (Salt Lake Stadium), Kalkātā (Kolkata), West Bengal

East Bengal 2-0 Bengaluru FC

East Bengal 2-0 Bengaluru FC: Robin Singh's own goal hands three points to the Red and Gold

East Bengal 2-0 Bengaluru FC

AIFF Media

Ashley Westwood's side failed in their first away test as they were downed by the Kolkata outfit...

An own goal by Robin Singh at the start of the second half and James Moga's powerful strike at the death saw Bengaluru FC succumb to their first defeat as East Bengal snapped full points from the round seven fixture at the Kalyani Stadium, Kolkata.

East Bengal made four changes to the team which started against Al Kuwait in the AFC Cup midweek action with Harmanjot Khabra, Robert Lalthlamuana, Gurwinder Singh and Raju Gaikwad making their way in.

Bengaluru FC started with the same team as the last game against Dempo SC.

Cavin Lobo initiated the first attack of the game as he found James Moga in space who in turn fed Chidi Edeh whose shot was blocked by the opposition’s defense.

The away side looked to attack from the flanks while East Bengal kept pumping the ball towards their two strikers, namely James Moga and Chidi Edeh.  Chances were coming at a premium as the two sides struggled to adapt to the ground condition which was marshy due to the heavy rainfall.

Just after the half hour mark, Siam Hangal should have put his side ahead as his powerful shot aiming for the top corner from the edge of the box while under no pressure whatsoever went over the bar.

East Bengal had a great chance when Lalrindika Ralte’s corner-kick saw James Moga outjump Curtis Osano as his header went wide from inside the box in the 34th minute.

Two minutes later, Siam Hangal played a delightful ball to Sean Rooney who did well to get ahead of Gurwinder Singh to shoot but goalkeeper Abhijit Mondal was at hand to deny the Australian.

A few minutes after that, East Bengal took a short comer and Lobo ran into the end of the box before chipping it back straight into Sean Rooney instead of the East Bengal shirts lined up inside the area.

After the break, the home side started better of the two outfits as Lobo’s shot from 30 yards out rattled the crossbar. 

The deadlock was broken in the 49th minute when Robin Singh headed home in an effort to clear the corner-kick taken by Ralte.  

The striker could have made amends in the very next minute but his shot hit the crossbar.

After the hour mark, Moga dribbled past two defenders and found Chidi in a counterattack. However the Nigerian took far too long before attempting a shot which was blocked by the Bengaluru defenders who tracked back in time to avert the danger.

Towards the closing stages, the away side looked to peg one back and won a few corners but nothing substantial came off it.

Robin came close to equalizing in the final minute as he failed to keep his powerful shot from outside the box on target after John Johnson had done well to find the striker.

However the final nail in the coffin was inserted by Moga as he scored the second goal in the fourth minute of added time. Baljit did well by cutting past two defenders and squared it for the South Sudanese striker who blasted the ball home, much to the delight of the East Bengal supporters. 

East Bengal did well to bounce back after being humbled by Dempo SC in the I-League at the same venue. Bengaluru FC were made to pay for their mistakes at the back and will hope that they return back to winning ways in their next outing.

How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.