England-Scotland Preview: Rooney set to return against Auld Enemy
Despite featuring for Manchester United just once during pre-season, the striker is set for a run out at Wembley as the Auld Enemy come face to face for the first time in 14 years
By Alex Young
Walker, Cahill, Jones, Baines
Wilshere, Cleverley, Lampard
Walcott, Rooney, Welbeck
Hutton, Martin, Hanley, Mulgrew
Snodgrass, Morrison, Maloney
Ashley Young is the only player to have withdrawn from Roy Hodgson's squad, having missed Manchester United's 2-0 Community Shield win over Wigan.
However, the England manager is confident Wayne Rooney will be able to take part at Wembley after seeing him in training on Monday.
Meanwhile, Gordan Strachan also just one casulty, with Brighton midfielder Liam Bridcutt suffering for a groin injury.
But the experience of Darren Fletcher, Gary Caldwell and Steven Fletcher again miss out after failing to face Croatia.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- England v Scotland is the oldest match in football, dating back to 1872.
- But the two countries have not faced each other since a play-off double-header for Euro 2000 in 1999.
- The last time England hosted their 'Auld Enemy' in a friendly encouter at Wembley was a 2-2 draw in April, 1953.
- England are unbeaten at in five games at Wembley under Roy Hodgson, winning three.
- Meanwhile, Gordan Strachan has won just two of his four games in charge, most recently triumphing 1-0 away in Croatia in June.
- Following Hodgson calling up Leon Osman to face Sweden in November, Rickie Lambert (pictured right) could become England's third-oldest debutant since 1954 if he makes the field. He is 17/10 with Paddy Power to score at anytime on Wednesday.
- Strachan is bringing a fairly inexperienced squad across the border, with 16 of the squad having represented their country on 10 occasions or less.
- Only five of squad play in Scotland, with 10 plying their trade in the Premier League.
Top 3 Predictions
England 2-0 Scotland
- 16.92 %
England 3-1 Scotland
- 14.41 %
England 2-1 Scotland
- 13.23 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||15-Aug-2013||England 3 - Scotland 2|
|20-Nov-2013||England 0 - Germany 1||FR|
|16-Nov-2013||England 0 - Chile 2||FR|
|16-Oct-2013||England 2 - Poland 0||WCQE|
|12-Oct-2013||England 4 - Montenegro 1||WCQE|
|11-Sep-2013||Ukraine 0 - England 0||WCQE|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed