Basel - Chelsea Preview: Swiss side aim to add Blues to growing list of English scalps
After knocking out Tottenham in emphatic fashion in the quarter-finals the hosts will be looking to dispatch Rafa Benitez's side, whose concentration lies elsewhere
By Alex Young
Steinhofer, Degan, Dragovic, Schar
Salah, Cabral, F Frei, Stocker
Azpilicueta, Terry, Cahill, Bertrand
Moses, Lampard, Ramires, Oscar, Mata
Basel have just one injury concern heading into their first ever European semi-final, with Philipp Degen (muscular) a doubt. However, Arlind Ajeti is ready to deputise.
Chelsea defensive duo Ashley Cole (hamstring) and Gary Cahill (knee) have handed Rafael Benitez a timely boost ahead of Thursday's tie.
The left-back has not been seen since April 1, while the former Bolton man underwent minor surgery on March 30.
Elsewhere, Oscar (groin) has also been passed fit after being withdrawn during Sunday's 2-2 draw with Liverpool and joined the squad on Wednesday morning's flight to St Jacob-Park.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Basel are unbeaten at home in this year’s Europa League campaign and have only failed to win once at St Jakob-Park since the start of September domestically.
- No side has scored more goals from set-pieces in the Europa League than Basel (seven).
- The Swiss Super League champions have not lost in their last four meetings against English opposition, scoring at least twice on each occasion (against Manchester United and Tottenham).
- The Swiss side have the worst disciplinary record in this year’s Europa League, picking up 27 yellow cards and three reds.
- Chelsea have faced Swiss opponents just once before, losing in the first round of the 2000-01 Uefa Cup to FC St Gallen.
- Fernando Torres (pictured right) has scored four goals in his last three Europa League appearances.
- The west London club have lost four of their last five European away matches, including back-to-back defeats on the road against Steaua Bucharest and Rubin Kazan.
- Chelsea can become the first side to win Uefa's two top club competitions in reverse order in successive seasons.
Top 3 Predictions
Basel 0-2 Chelsea FC
- 16.69 %
Basel 1-3 Chelsea FC
- 15.14 %
Basel 1-2 Chelsea FC
- 13.65 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||27-Nov-2013||Basel 1 - Chelsea FC 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||19-Sep-2013||Chelsea FC 1 - Basel 2|
|Europa League (EL)||03-May-2013||Chelsea FC 3 - Basel 1|
|Europa League (EL)||26-Apr-2013||Basel 1 - Chelsea FC 2|
|02-Mar-2014||FC Thun 2 - Basel 2||SUI1|
|27-Feb-2014||Basel 3 - Maccabi Tel-Aviv 0||EL|
|23-Feb-2014||Grashoppers 1 - Basel 1||SUI1|
|21-Feb-2014||Maccabi Tel-Aviv 0 - Basel 0||EL|
|16-Feb-2014||Basel 1 - FC Sion 0||SUI1|
|-||G. Serey Die||Midfielder|
|-||Mohamed El Nenny||Midfielder|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed