thumbnail Hello,


  • 7 April 2013
  • • 16:00
  • • Tilak Maidan Stadium, Vasco da Gama, Goa

Sporting Clube de Goa 1-5 Mohun Bagan: Odafa Okolie's hat-trick powers the Mariners to a thumping victory

Sporting Clube de Goa 1-5 Mohun Bagan: Odafa Okolie's hat-trick powers the Mariners to a thumping victory

Anselm Noronha/

Six goals in the second half saw Mohun Bagan register an emphatic victory courtesy of an Odafa hat-trick and a brace from Ozbey against a ten-man Sporting side.

Mohun Bagan ran out 5-1 winners away to Sporting Clube de Goa in an I-League fixture on Sunday afternoon. After a scoreless first half, the crowd at the Tilak Maidan stadium witnessed six goals in the second period which featured a hat-trick from Odafa Okolie and a brace for Tolgay Ozbey after Sporting were reduced to ten men.

Oscar Bruzon Barreras was replaced by Ekendra Singh on Sporting's technical bench and birthday boy Stephene Barreto, alongside Japanese midfielder Seiya Sugishita, was gifted his first I-League start owing to his good performance in the return leg against the Kolkata side.

Samananda Singh was suspended for the tie, while Prathesh Shirodkar and Joyner Lourenco returned from suspension
for the home team.

Echezona Anyichie was suspended for the visitors, while both Tolgay Ozbey and Odafa Okolie paired in the three-man attack along-side Sabeeth Sathyam.

After the Orange Shirts were pretty much confined to their own half in the opening ten minutes, a pass played to Ozbey by Denson Devadas saw the Australian spring into Sporting's penalty area, but a timely tackle by Pratesh Shirodkar prevented the Mohun Bagan striker from taking a shot.

Feeling at home, the Sporting contingent started surging ahead and Shirodkar's left-footed effort flew just above the bar after Stephene's initial shot from inside the Bagan box was blocked in the 18th minute.

Bagan duo Denson and Manish Maithani, along with Sporting's Dawson were booked within a span of 10 minutes until the 35th minute.

Dawson went on to pick his second booking for handling the ball in the 39th minute, reducing the home side to 10 men, although the half-time scoreline remained goalless.

The second half pretty much started with a penalty for the visitors as Nabi's cross was handled in the area by Sporting skipper Mathew Gonsalves who had to deal with onrushing Ozbey in the 50th minute and it was none other than the rival team's captain Odafa Okolie who converted from the spot.

Sporting keeper Bruno Colaco blocked Maithani's shot on target in the 54th minute, but was beaten four more times in the remainder of the match.

An Odafa pass saw Ozbey double the lead for Bencherifa's outfit in the 73rd minute, before Sporting pulled one back from off a penalty three minutes later. It was when Aibor Khongjee was guilty of bringing down Jovel Martins in the area. Kalu sent Shilton Paul the wrong side to make it 2-1.

Ozbey picked a pass just outside the box and moved into a comfortable position before beating Bruno Colaco for the second time in the 80th minute.

Kalu's shot was blocked by Shilton Paul in the 82nd minute and right off the counter, Quinton Jacobs set up Odafa, who made no mistake to score Mohun Bagan's fourth goal.

Odafa's initial shot was blocked by Bruno in the 90th minute, but the Nigerian scored from the rebound to take Mohun Bagan's tally to five as the striker completed his hat-trick.

The win for the away side secured another three vital points in their quest to avoid relegation while Sporting remain established in mid-table despite the humiliating defeat.

Follow Anselm Noronha on 

How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.