Selangor - East Bengal Preview: Red Giants look to revive their AFC Cup campaign against group leaders
Irfan Bakti's men can close the gap on the group leaders if they win against Trevor Morgan's side
By Nik Afiq
Mahali, Nasriq, Griffiths, Asraruddin;
Kubala, Veenod, Jusoh, S. Kunanlan;
Naoba, Okpara, Gaikwad, Saumik;
Khabra, Mehtab, Ishfaq;
Selangor will go into this match still without their import star striker, Francis Forkey Doe, and the absence of the powerful forward has been felt by the whole team in their recent fixtures in the M-League.
The Red Giants were knocked out of the FA Cup by Johor Darul Takzim after a penalty shootout, and in that match they were never the same team following the injured Forkey's substitution in the second half. In last weekends match against bottom side Negeri Sembilan they were also toothless and could only manage a 0-0 draw.
In the AFC Cup, Irfan's men look set to go all out in what is a make or break game for them. They failed to pick up any wins in their first three games, including a loss to East Bengal in their opening match. However, a win against Sai Gong in their last match has given them hope that they can close the gap on the top two if they pick up maximum points here.
East Bengal, on the other hand, will want to continue their fine form in the AFC Cup after picking up 10 points out of a possible 12 in their first four games in the AFC Cup.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
S. Veenod of Selangor
- East Bengal holds the unique record of being the first Indian club to reach the quarter-finals (knockout stage) in their maiden appearance in the AFC Cup in 2004.
- In 2008, East Bengal became the first Indian side to win against a Middle-Eastern team at home, when they defeated Al Wheedat of Jordan 2-0 at Amman.
- Selangor are currently third in the Super League, four points adrift of league leader Lions XII.
- Selangor's best performance in AFC competition was in 1967 where they came second in the Asian Club Championship.
- East Bengal and Selangor have met once before this season, in the 1972 IFA Shield in Kolkata wherein the Indian outfit emerged winners by a margin of 2-0.
Top 3 Predictions
Selangor FA 0-2 East Bengal F.C.
- 17.86 %
Selangor FA 1-2 East Bengal F.C.
- 10.71 %
Selangor FA 2-0 East Bengal F.C.
- 8.93 %
|AFC Cup (AC)||23-Apr-2013||Selangor FA 2 - East Bengal F.C. 2|
|AFC Cup (AC)||27-Feb-2013||East Bengal F.C. 1 - Selangor FA 0|
|21-Sep-2013||Selangor FA 2 - Johor FA 1||MC|
|17-Sep-2013||ATM FA 1 - Selangor FA 1||MC|
|31-Aug-2013||Selangor FA 1 - Sime Darby FC 1||MC|
|27-Aug-2013||Sime Darby FC 3 - Selangor FA 0||MC|
|24-Aug-2013||Selangor FA 2 - ATM FA 3||MC|
|3||Mohd Fairuz bin Abdul Aziz||Defender|
|7||Adib Aizuddin bin Abdul Latif||Defender|
|13||M. Raimi Mohd Nor||Midfielder|
|8||Abdul Shukur Bin Jusoh||Midfielder|
|22||Muhammad Ramzul Zahini bin Adenan||Midfielder|
|24||Mohd Fitri Shazwan bin Raduwan||Midfielder|
|21||Norazlan bin Razali||Goalkeeper|
|30||Gurpreet Singh Sandhu||Goalkeeper|
|8||Thokchom Naoba Singh||Defender|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed