Churchill Brothers SC - Kitchee SC Preview: The Red Machines keen to join East Bengal in the pre-quarterfinals
With the Red and Gold having confirmed their spot in the next round of the AFC Cup, the Goans are eager to ensure progress as well...
By Anselm Noronha
CHURCHILL BROTHERS SC (4-4-2)
Franco, Ravanan, Tamba, Yumnam;
Dias, Lenny, Asley, Balan;
KITCHEE SC (4-1-3-2)
Kwan Yee, Rehman, Recio, Kin Fung;
Siu Kei, Ka Wai, Siu Wai;
After four rounds in group E of the AFC Cup, Indonesia's Semen Padang are unbeaten and lead the pack with 10 points from three wins and a draw. Kitchee SC and Churchill Brothers are the next best contenders, with six and four points respectively, while Warriors FC trail behind with three points.
Defeat for Churchill Brothers will mean elimination for the Indian side as they will then be five points behind the Hong Kong outfit, with only one match to play thereafter.
This is hence a must win encounter for the home team who however have the advantage of playing under familiar conditions, given that the kick-off is scheduled for 15:30 IST, something which the away side could find it tough to adjust.
The injuries to Beto, Bikramjit Singh and Tomba Singh however will leave the midfield with lesser options, as confirmed by stand-in Churchill coach Willy Moraes.
On the other hand, Kitchee SC will look to confirm their advancement to the next round with a win on Wednesday.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
Kitchee SC training in Pune
- This was after Churchill Brothers SC had failed to qualify for the 2010 Asian Champions League.
- Churchill Brothers SC is the only "family run" club in India.
- In 2010-11, Kitchee SC won its first league title (Hong Kong First Division League) after 47 years, under their current coach Josep Gombau.
- In 2012, Arsenal visited Hong Kong after 17 years and donated HK$780,000 to Kitchee Foundation in support of the youth training centre after playing an exhibition match with Kitchee SC that ended 2-2.
- Kitchee SC's best performance in the AFC Cup was when they reached the Round of 16, in the year 2012.
- Kitchee SC had beaten Churchill Brothers SC 3-0 in the first leg that was played in Hong Kong.
How do you stay up with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
Top 3 Predictions
Churchill Brothers SC 0-8 Kitchee SC
- 25 %
Churchill Brothers SC 1-0 Kitchee SC
- 9.38 %
Churchill Brothers SC 2-1 Kitchee SC
- 9.38 %
|AFC Cup (AC)||24-Apr-2013||Churchill Brothers SC 0 - Kitchee SC 4|
|AFC Cup (AC)||26-Feb-2013||Kitchee SC 3 - Churchill Brothers SC 0|
|Churchill Brothers SC|
|16-Apr-2014||Churchill Brothers SC 1 - East Bengal F.C. 0||I-L|
|13-Apr-2014||Mumbai FC 4 - Churchill Brothers SC 2||I-L|
|09-Apr-2014||Churchill Brothers SC 1 - Persipura Jayapura 1||AC|
|06-Apr-2014||Sporting Clube de Goa 1 - Churchill Brothers SC 1||I-L|
|02-Apr-2014||Home United FC 2 - Churchill Brothers SC 1||AC|
|18||Thangjam Saran Singh||Defender|
|13||Cheung Kin Fung||Defender|
|-||Chu Siu Kei||Midfielder|
|10||Lam Ka Wai||Midfielder|
|12||Kwan Yee Lo||Defender|
|-||Cheng Siu Wai||Striker|
|21||Tsang Kam To||Defender|
|17||Chan Man Fai||Midfielder|
|16||Tsang Chi Hau||Defender|
|22||Lo Chi Kwan||Midfielder|