Muller offered no guarantees from Bayern boss Ancelotti

ShareClose Comments
The World Cup-winning forward should be ready to accept more bench duty in the future, his boss at the Allianz Arena has warned

Thomas Muller must accept rotation at Bayern Munich under head coach Carlo Ancelotti.

Muller was dropped from the starting XI for the 2-0 win at Werder Bremen before the international break, appearing as a second-half substitute.

FCB 16/1 to beat Hoffenheim 4-0

The Germany forward remarked after the match that "my qualities seem not to be 100 per cent in demand", while luminaries such as Lothar Matthaus and Ottmar Hitzfeld sympathised with his plight.

Speaking ahead of Saturday's trip to Hoffenheim, Ancelotti acknowledged the talking point but insisted he would not change his selection policy purely to placate Muller.

"Thomas Muller is fit, he is in good condition and can play," Ancelotti told reporters.

"I thank everyone for their opinions but I do not need any clues. Do not worry.

"Thomas Muller is an important player but we have many important players. I know his story at the club.

"There will be rotation, so he will play and sit on the bench. Sometimes players must also be in the stands. I'd like to let all the players play."

Thomas Muller Carlo Ancelotti Bayern Munich 18072017

Ancelotti added: "Every player has to give the best, we know Muller's qualities. He played 73 per cent of the games [last season].

"I cannot guarantee a player's place to play. This also applies to Muller. No one is set in the starting line-up."

One player who could not find a place in the Bayern lineup consistently was Renato Sanches, who moved on loan to Premier League club Swansea before the transfer window closed.

The 20-year-old Portugal midfielder struggled for first-team opportunities at the Allianz Arena last term but Ancelotti maintains he will be watching the former Benfica man's performances with interest.

Sanches 6/1 to score Sunday

"I think it was a good choice for Renato. We suggest for him to go there because he has the possibility to play," he said.

"What was missing for him last year was the chance to play games. Now he has the possibility.

"The Premier League is a really competitive competition. The fact that Clement knows him well can help him to show his best.

Article continues below

"He was not able to show his best quality here, because he didn't have a lot of time to play.

"As he is still our player, and we are really interested in his season, I hope and I am sure he can show his quality."

Ancelotti also declared David Alaba, Jerome Boateng out for this weekend’s clash against Hoffenheim. The statuses of Arturo Vidal and James Rodriguez, who returned from South America’s World Cup qualifying duty are also in question, though Ancelotti announced Javi Martinez is “fit to feature in defence.”

Next article:
Conte: Chelsea will need a 'perfect game' to stop Barcelona and Messi
Next article:
Booed PSG boss Emery: We wanted to give confidence to our fans
Next article:
MLS transfer news: The latest rumors and trades in Major League Soccer
Next article:
Transfer news & rumours LIVE: Madrid to offer £100m plus Bale for Hazard
Next article:
Cavani hails 'good reaction' as PSG bounce back in style after Madrid defeat
Close