Milan must fight Juventus for Scudetto - Calhanoglu

ShareClose Comments
The Turkey international is optimistic about the Rossoneri's project which has seen as many as ten players join in the transfer window

AC Milan have splashed over €200 million in the summer transfer window so far and their spending spree isn’t going to end soon as they expect to rope in a star striker.

Bet on Bayern-Arsenal in ICC

This comes after Yonghong Lee’s Chinese-led consortium Rossoneri Sport Investment Lux completed the takeover of the Milan giants in April.

Following a disappointing pre-season outing in Guangzhou where they lost 3-1 to a strong Borussia Dortmund outfit, one of Milan's many new boys - Hakan Calhanoglu - stated that the Chinese Revolution at the club is indeed a good project.

Bonucci arrival could spark Milan XI change

“Yes, it is a good project. We have a new team. We need time to for the new players to (gel) with the old players. The first game is on the 27th (against CS U Craiova in Europa League). It was a good test for us against Dortmund. We play again against Bayern Munich. So we test against (the best) and afterwards we will see what comes,” said the attacking midfielder to Goal .

Milan have a healthy problem in that several players, namely Suso, Giacomo Bonaventura, Andre Silva, Franck Kessie and Calhanoglu, are all known to be experts in taking free-kicks.

On being questioned as to who would be given responsibility from set-piece situations, the former Bayer Leverkusen player answered: “Montella will tell who will take the free-kick this season. (Today) in the game, it was me. I hope I can take the free-kicks.”

Calhanoglu also pointed out that the onus is on Milan to challenge the dominance of Juventus in Serie A with the Turin-based club having won the title for the last six consecutive seasons. The last Italian team to have won the league other than Juventus was Milan back in 2010-11, incidentally under current Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri. 

Montella pleased despite Milan loss

“Yes, we must (challenge for the title) because we have very good team this year. The fans are very good and behind us. So I hope we do it for the fans,” said the 23-year-old.

Milan next travel to Shenzen to take on Bayern Munich this Saturday in their second game of the International Champions Cup.

Next article:
Gattuso unsure of Bonucci future amid PSG and Manchester United links
Next article:
Transfer news & rumours LIVE: Real & Chelsea agree €190m Hazard deal
Next article:
Lille swoop for free agent Portugal international Fonte
Next article:
Leicester complete £12m Ward signing from Liverpool
Next article:
'What kind of idiot goes to Paris by helicopter?' - Napoli president slams Cavani rumours
Close

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Show more Accept