Manchester United are on the verge of completing their first signing of the summer with Sweden international Victor Lindelof agreeing to a reported £30.75 million deal last week.
While Red Devils fans are excited about the move for the Benfica defender, former Man Utd midfielder Ray Wilkins isn't impressed and would prefer a player with Premier League experience instead.
Appearing on Sky Sports News on Monday, Wilkins said United should have moved for Burnley's Michael Keane over Benfica's Linelof, who he believes "has done nothing" in football.
Wilkins feels European players are too expensive and that Jose Mourinho's side could have signed the England international for a much cheaper fee.
"We've got young Keane has done exceptionally well at Burnley, we're looking to bring him back at Manchester United for £28m, all of a sudden Lindelof is 30 [million]," Wilkins said.
"Now, when we bring someone in from Europe, it always starts with a three.
"This guy has done nothing. Absolutely nothing. Yet Keane has played a season exceptionally well in the Premier League, but we're talking £25m. This guy's coming in at £32m, £33m. Can he do it? We know Keane can, yet we're prepared to spend...
"It always starts with a three, or a four, or a five. No one gets anything cheap from Europe because it's the Premier League."
The 22-year-old Lindelof is two years younger than Keane and has played for Benfica since 2012. He became a regular first-team player in 2016, helping lead his side to the league cup.