The Baggies have hit out at media reports surrounding Shane Long's proposed transfer to the KC Stadium, issuing a statement of clarification that puts blame squarely on Hull City
The Baggies had accepted an offer from Hull for the 26-year-old on Monday, who subsequently left the Republic of Ireland's training base in Malahide in order to discuss terms with the club. However, the move broke down, with reports surfacing that the deal was dependent on West Brom's acquisition of Romelu Lukaku, who eventually joined Everton.
However, Baggies' sporting and technical director Richard Garlick has moved to clarify the details surrounding the transfer, indicating that Shane Long "was not a player [they] were looking to sell" and denying the suggestion that the club was trying to force the striker out of the Hawthorns.
"Hull unexpectedly contacted us on Monday and tabled an acceptable offer for Shane. Given that every player has his price, we discussed it as a club," Garlick said in a statement released on the club's official website. "We accepted Hull's offer in principle and gave them permission to speak to Shane, but the deal depended on many other factors, including a real reluctance to sell."
He continued: "In a phone conversation with Shane's representative, I informed him that Shane was under no pressure to leave. We were definitely not trying to force him out.
"Hull then informed us they could not finance the deal they had tabled and wanted to reduce it to a level that the club would never have accepted in the first place.
"Given Shane was not a player we were looking to sell, we ended all negotiations with Hull there and then. Contrary to media reports, the decision to keep Shane had absolutely nothing to do with Romelu Lukaku opting to join Everton.
"Shane remains a West Bromwich Albion player and we're delighted he's still here. "He's played an important role in the club's recent progress and we are sure he will make another big contribution this term."
Meanwhile Kevin Doyle has revealed that he is content to remain at Wolverhampton Wanderers after failing to secure a move away from the club during the transfer window.
Doyle had been linked with a number of clubs, including Scottish Premiership side Celtic, but the striker said that, while he had opportunities, he did not face a dilemma over his future.
"There were bits and pieces and opportunities but nothing that went anywhere or to a, 'What should I do' situation?" he told reporters. "I weighed it all up and a lot goes through your mind during the summer and I had to make some decisions."
The Republic of Ireland international said that he is hoping to have a positive year at the club and aims to help Wolves gain promotion to the Championship.
"It's about sticking around and trying to have a positive year," he said of his decision to stay at the club.
"If I do leave this club in years to come I want to do it with my head held high instead of going now when maybe it might be the easier thing to do. In the short-term you might think it's League One but in the more medium-term it could be different.
"If I look back in years to come when my career is over, would I prefer the achievement of sticking at it and trying to help this club get back up the divisions or jumping ship and perhaps ending up in another dogfight or whatever it was going to be?
"I think in the long run I am hoping I will get more satisfaction from trying to put right some of the wrongs of the last few years. Whether we can do that or not remains to be seen."