thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 19 July 2013
  • • 19:45
  • • Carlisle Grounds, Bray
  • Referee: T. Connolly
  • • Attendance: 2500

Bray Wanderers 1-3 Bohemians - Bohs grab vital victory

Bray Wanderers 1-3 Bohemians - Bohs grab vital victory


Dinny Corcoran grabbed two goals on his return to the side as Owen Heary's Bohs overcame the Seagulls at the Carlisle Grounds

Bohemians recorded a rare win against Bray Wanderers thanks to two late goals from Dinny Corcoran after both sides scored from the penalty spot. Ryan McEvoy opened the scoring before Jason Byrne levelled the tie.

Owen Heary’s reign as Bohemians manager couldn’t have got off to a better start as 10 minutes in, Keith Buckley turned inside Conor Earley and played a low ball into the feet of Chris Lyons, who went down in the area. Lyons seemed to be backing into defender Shane O’Connor but referee Tom O’Callaghan saw it differently and pointed to the spot. Ryan McEvoy stepped up and confidently slotted the spot kick home.

As is often the case with sides under new management, Bohs looked re-invigorated. They played with a freedom that had been lacking over the last few months of Aaron Callaghan’s tenure. Chris Lyons, a player that was often overlooked by Callaghan was particularly effective. His movement and driving runs drawing yellow cards from both Wanderers centre backs.

Bray responded and managed to fashion some decent changes of their own. A looping Dean Zambra free-kick was met by Ismail Akinade at the back post but the lanky striker could only direct header down into the ground. Moments later, a driving run from Akinade and neat play from John Mulroy put Kieran Marty Waters in space inside the box. Derek Pender was on hand to make a last-ditch block as Waters took aim at goal.

After the restart, Shane O’Connor came close to gifting Bohs a second goal with a short back pass to Darren Quigley. Lyons pounced but Quigley was brave in the challenge and won the 50-50. Lyons received a yellow card two minutes later for a slightly overzealous late charge on the Bray stopper.

A second reckless challenge from Adam Mitchell meant Bray would have to play the last half an hour with 10 men. Going a player down seemed to galvanize Wanderers. Playing with confidence for the first in the game, the home side managed to grab themselves an equaliser. Again after minimal contact, this time from Dave Mulcahy on Jason Byrne, the referee blew for a penalty. Dean Delany guessed the right way but Byrne’s effort crept into the corner of the net.

Despite a spell of pressure from Bray, Bohs didn’t panic and looked very dangerous on the counter against a depleted Wanderers back four. Ultimately the extra man counted as Bohs moved the ball quickly and stretched Bray. On his return to the side, Dinny Corcoran grabbed the goals that made the difference. Karl Moore provided the cross and Corcoran hit a sweet half volley past Quigley for the second.

Corocan's second killed off any hopes of a Bray fight back. Substitute Kevin Deveney’s shot was parried in the direction of Corocoran, who was left with an easy tap in. A vital three points to kick-off Owen Heary's tenure as boss at Bohemians while Bray's poor home form continues.