EA Sports Cup Round-up: Drogheda United put six past Longford Town

The Super Drogs lived up to their name as they defeated their First Division opponents in a match they dominated from start to finish, while Sligo easily overcame Mervue United

Bohemians 4-2 Bray Wanderers
Bray Wanderers came from two goals down to force extra-time against Bohemians, but could not hold out in the additional 30 minutes as the Gypsies advanced to the last eight.

Bohs were quickest out of the blocks, and were two ahead with just 11 minutes gone on the clock. A solo effort from Stephen Traynor gave the hosts the lead on six minutes, with Chris Lyons adding a second from the penalty spot after the former UCD striker was fouled in the area.

Bray were not deflated, and got themselves back into the tie on 32 minutes when Danny O'Connor scored after Bohemians failed to clear a corner. The Seagulls were level just before half-time, as Ismahil Akinade headed in Sean Hurley's cross for his first Bray goal.

Neither side could find a winning goal in the alotted 90 minutes, but Bohs struck early in extra-time with Chris Lyons bundling the ball in to restore the hosts' lead. Kevin O'Leary finished well to bag Bohs' fourth and give them the victory.

Drogheda United 6-0 Longford Town
Last year's League of Ireland Cup champions eased into the quarter-finals with a huge win over First Division side Longford Town.

Drogs took the lead after just 10 minutes as Dean Gaynor bagged his first goal for the club after a ball across the area from Jason Marks. Longford faltered after the opener, and found themselves three down after just half an hour as Marks scored twice in three minutes to put Drogheda comfortably ahead.

Jason Marks had an opportunity to bag his hat-trick early in the second-half, but saw his penalty kick saved by Paul Hunt. Drogs were awarded another penalty minutes later, with Peter Hynes making no mistake from the spot. Alan McNally tapped home Drogheda's fifth in the 73rd minute, with Graham Rusk completing the rout.
Finn Harps 1-1 Derry City
Derry City recorded a 6-5 penalty win over First Division side Finn Harps after Rory Patterson was sent off in normal time.

The visitors took the lead through Rory Patterson's 13th goal of the year in all competitions. The Northern Irish striker blasted the ball past Ciaran Gallagher as Derry dominated the early stages. Harps began to settle into the tie as the half went on, and equalised before the break when Aaron O'Hagan headed in on the stroke of half-time with his first goal of the season.

Derry found themselves down to 10 men with a quarter of an hour remaining as Patterson was sent off for a second bookable offence. Neither side could find the winner, with the visitors made to work hard in extra-time. However, Derry advanced thanks to a sudden death penalty shootout victory with Thomas Bonnar missing the final spot kick.

Limerick 1-1 Waterford United
First Division side Waterford United saw their EA Sports Cup campaign ended by a penalty defeat at the hands of Limerick.

Limerick were the better side for most of the first-half, but found themselves behind after half an hour as Vinny Sullivan headed home Aidan McGrath's cross. Despite Limerick's dominance, Waterford's American goalkeeper Chip Sanders was rarely tested in the opening 45 minutes.

The hosts pushed men forward in search of an equaliser in the second-half, but their closest chance came when Stephen Folan hit the crossbar with a long-range effort. Limerick finally got the breakthrough in stoppage time, with Barry Sheedy sending the game into extra-time.

With neither side able to find the winner, the match went to penalties - the first shootout at Limerick's new home, Thomond Park. The hosts converted four of their five penalties to advance to the quater finals in a 4-2 shootout win.

Salthill Devon 2-3 St Patrick's Athletic
St Patrick's Athletic needed extra-time to overcome a spirited Salthill Devon side at Drom Clubhouse.

The Saints started a much-changed side with five players from their under-19s in their matchday squad. However, it was experienced forward Anto Flood who did most of the running for the visitors, and even had the ball in the net on half an hour only for referee Padraig Sutton to rule the goal out for an infringement.

The hosts took a surprising lead six minutes into the second-half with Enda Curran finding the net to stroke the ball past David Ryan in the Saints goal. Nine minutes later Pat's were level, with Jake Kelly's effort deflecting off Cian Fadden on the way in.

In extra-time, Salthill went in front once again as Brian Geraghty tapped the ball home when Ryan failed to hold onto a free-kick. Just minutes later, Pat's were level once more with Kelly slotting home. The visitors then went on to take the lead, with debutant Peter Durrad scoring the game's final goal.
Sligo Rovers 3-0 Mervue United
Premier Division leaders Sligo Rovers recorded a convincing win over their First Division opponents with a comfortable victory at the Showgrounds.

Mervue United were a goal behind and a man down after just 18 minutes. Barry O'Mahony was dismissed for a deliberate handball in the area, with Anthony Elding stepping up to put the spot kick past goalkeeper Conor Gleeson.

Sligo Rovers doubled their advantage on the hour mark with Evan McMillan rising highest to head in Joseph Ndo's corner kick. Sligo sealed the victory with Danny Ventre's first goal of the season on 70 minutes, before Anthony Elding added his second in stoppage time.
Wexford Youths 0-4 Cork City
For the second year in a row, Cork City knocked Wexford Youths out of the EA Sports Cup, following up last year's 5-1 home win with a 4-0 victory at Ferrycarrig Park.

Former Youths forward Danny Furlong started up front for the Leesiders, but it was midfielder Ian Turner who gave the visitors the lead on 25 minutes. Cork led 2-0 at the break thanks to Shane Duggan's long-range strike.

Youths' all-time top scorer came back to haunt his old club early in the second-half, adding Cork's third rounding goalkeeper Brandon O'Callaghan. Furlong added his second on 61 minutes as the Leesiders eased to victory.