Airtricity First Division: Matchday Five - Longford stay top with draw against Mervue

Waterford United recorded their first win of the season with a 1-0 victory over Athlone Town, while Finn Harps were held by Wexford Youths
Finn Harps 0-0 Wexford Youths
Finn Harps continued their unbeaten start to the 2013 Airtricity First Division season, but could not strike a killer blow against Wexford Youths.

Both sides had decent chances early on, but neither keeper was particularly troubled. Damien McNulty went closest for the hosts with a header, while Joe Mulcahy's effort went just wide for the visitors.

The best chance of the game fell to Glen Hawe, but he could not beat Ciaran Gallagher in the Harps goal. Graham Doyle's only real save came from Kevin McHugh's set-piece in a poor game at Finn Park.

Salthill Devon 1-1 Cobh Ramblers
Salthill Devon came from behind to draw with Cobh Ramblers, and should have probably capitalised on greater possession to take all three points.

The visitors saw little of the ball for the most part, but took their chance when it came on 35 minutes. Michael O'Shea capitalised on a defensive error to give Cobh a half-time lead.

Salthill deservedly struck back in the second-half, when Jean Biansumba scored from a corner, while Robert Birdsall did well to help his side gain a point with good saves from Enda Curran and Derek O'Brien.
Waterford United 1-0 Athlone Town
Waterford United struck late to beat Athlone Town at the Regional Sports Centre, and finally record their first win of the season.

Athlone Town started poorly, but did not expect to be a man down so early, as Roddy Collins Jr received his marching orders for a late challenge after just a quarter of an hour. Despite the man advantage, the hosts created little in the first-half, and the game was scoreless at the break.

Vinny Sullivan went close for the Blues after the break, but the deadlock was finally broken on 78 minutes when captain David Breen slotted the ball home.
Longford Town 1-1 Mervue United
Longford Town held off a second-half comeback to record a point against Mervue United and stay one point clear of their opponents at the top of the Airtricity First Division table.

Keith Gillespie provided the ball in for the opener as David O'Sullivan headed home to give the hosts a 12th minute lead. Mervue were the better side for most of the first-half, but could not turn their dominance into goals, and were behind at the interval.

However, their pressure paid off in the second-half, with Jason Molloy taking two efforts to put the ball beyond Chris Bennion to give the visitors a share of the spoils.