thumbnail Hello,

Wexford Youths got their first points of the campaign, Mervue United defeated Waterford United, while Longford Town suffered their first defeat to Finn Harps

Athlone Town 1-1 Cobh Ramblers
Cobh Ramblers hoped to put last week’s defeat to Finn Harps behind them when they met third placed Athlone Town in Athlone.

Both teams scored in the first half with Conor Meade scoring the opening goal from the penalty spot for Cobh Ramblers and just after the half hour mark Athlone Town equalised through Ian Sweeney.

Midway through the second half the substitutions started to be made for both teams with Athlone making two and Cobh replacing Alan O’Flynn with Bobby Donoghue.

On 70 minutes Philip O’Gorman seemed to have put Athlone into the lead but his goal was disallowed, and so they had to settle for a share of the points with Cobh.

Next Athlone will meet Salthill Devon while Cobh will entertain Longford Town at home.
Finn Harps 1-0 Longford Town
League leaders Longford Town travelled to second place Finn Harps in a bid to maintain their 100% winning record. Both teams had to contend with the bad blustery conditions in Finn park.

The first real chance of the game for Finn Harps fell to Aaron O’Hagan who put his volley wide,
however Harps were luckier with the next attack and Kevin McHugh scored the opening goal with a shot from 18 yards.

Finn Harps were forced into making an early substitution when Noel Haverty had to leave the pitch after an early challenge and was replaced by Etanda Nkololo.

Midway through the second half Longford were unlucky not to be on equal terms when David O’Sullivan was pulled down on the edge of the box. The referee decided the foul was outside the area and the resulting free kick was scored by Brain McCarthy but was ruled invalid due to an infringement.

The game ended with Finn Harps picking up all three points and Longford suffering their first defeat of the league campaign.
Salthill Devon 1-2 Wexford Youths

This was the meeting of the bottom two clubs with neither having secured a win from their first two games. Salthill made a great start with a goal on seven minutes from the head of captain Eugene Greaney from a Derek O’Brien corner. Salthill had another great chance through Jean Biansumba but he fired the shot over.

Wexford had a chance when Ronan Forde was forced to make a great save from a Joe Mulcahy free-kick after Jamie McGlynn was booked for a challenge on Wexford’s Aidan Keenan.

Salthill then suffered a blow when they went down to 10 men when Jamie McGlynn was given a second yellow card.

Shortly after the restart Wexford equalised through a controversial goal from Glen Hawe. Forde seemed to have the ball in his hands from the crossbar but the goal was allowed. Wexford then also found themselves down to 10 men when Joe Mulcahy was given his marching orders.

Wexford secured their first points of this campaign, through a winning goal by Aidan Keenan in added time.

Waterford United 0-4 Mervue United

After securing their first points of the campaign last week Mervue United travelled to the RSC for a meeting with Waterford United.

Mervue opened brightly and had an early chance through Brendan Laville who put his shot into the side netting. Waterford then had a chance to take the lead through Daragh Walshe but he was called offside.

Just past the half hour mark, Tom King scored the opening goal of the game for Mervue from a Brendan Lavelle cross. Less than five minutes later Mervue double their lead with a headed goal from Noel Varley.

Peter White had a chance to get one back for Waterford but his shot was saved by Gleeson. Tom King scored his second of the night and Mervue’s third when he got possession of the ball in the middle of the park and slotted past the oncoming Waterford keeper.

Jason Molloy wrapped things up when he scored the fourth for Mervue from a 25 yard strike that went through the hands of Craig Hyland.

This was a comfortable win for Mervue who will meet Finn Harps next week in Galway.