The former Derry City and UCD forward has revealed that it was an easy decision to leave Wigan Athletic in favour of first team football at Pride ParkDerby County striker Conor Sammon has said that his decision to leave Wigan Athletic was an 'easy' decision.
Speaking ahead of Ireland's upcoming friendly international against Poland on February 6, the Rams forward believes that the opportunity to join Nigel Clough's side was 'too good' to refuse.
"When I was at Wigan, it was quite frustrating at times," he told the Irish Examiner. "It's great saying you're playing in the Premier League but if you're a bit-part player it can be frustrating. It made the decision easy to go to Derby.
"There was a manager there [Nigel Clough] who had a lot of belief in me and chased me up. It was too good an opportunity to turn down and I knew it was going to improve me as a player."
Sammon's decision to depart the DW Stadium has been rewarded as the 26-year-old striker has been handed his first senior international call-up by Giovanni Trapattoni after impressing for the Rams.
And the former Derry City and UCD attacker has revealed that he is 'delighted' to have the chance to represent his country at senior level, having previously been capped at under-21 level.
He said: "I always had belief in my own ability to play against the best players and play at the highest level, and I'm delighted now that I have this chance."
Giovanni Trapattoni's Boys in Green face Poland in a friendly international at the Aviva Stadium on Wednesday, February 6.