Airtricity Premier Division: Matchday 33 - Drogheda United pip St Pat's to second place as Sligo bow out with defeat

Drogheda United defeated Bohemians 4-1 to seal second place, while champions Sligo Rovers lost 2-0 to Shamrock Rovers on the last day of the season

Bohemians 1-4 Drogheda United

Drogheda United secured a second-place finish in the Airtricity Premier Division with a convincing 4-1 away win over Bohemians at Dalymount Park.

An entertaining opening saw Drogheda United take a deserved lead after 24 minutes. Tiernan Mulvenna ran between the defence to pick up Sean Brennan's pass and place the ball beyond Greg Murray. Mulvenna doubled Drogheda's lead in the 44th minute, meeting Stephen Quigley's cross, but Bohs snatched one back before the interval when Evan McMillan outfoxed Gabriel Sava in stoppage time.

Drogheda sealed second place with a goal just after the break, when Alan McNally headed in Philip Hand's corner kick after an urgent start to the second half. A mistake from Greg Murray allowed Tiernan Mulvenna to complete his hat-trick with 20 minutes later, allowing John Sullivan's cross to fall to Mulvenna for a simple finish.
Dundalk 2-1 Bray Wanderers

Bottom-placed Dundalk ended their 2012 season with a 2-1 win over Bray Wanderers, their first win since May.

The match got off to a flying start as Dundalk took the lead after less than two minutes. Lorcan Shannon's cross found Michael Rafter unmarked in the area, who sent it past Darren Quigley to put the hosts ahead. Bray did most of the running for the first half but did little to test Peter Cherrie. Shannon had the ball in the net for Dundalk near the end of the half, but it was chalked off for offside.

Bray's efforts were dealt a blow when Jason Byrne was stretchered off at the start of the second half, but it was their other key man who grabbed a spectacular 70th minute equaliser. Kieran Marty Waters found the net from a long way out after a quick break from Bray. However, Dundalk showed a fighting spirit that has been missing for much of the season, and retook the lead with 10 minutes remaining, when Barry Conlon put the ball past Darren Quigley after a cutback by Mark Leavy.

St Patrick's Athletic 1-0 Cork City

Despite a second-half winner at Richmond Park, St Patrick's Athletic could not leapfrog Drogheda United into second place, but sealed third place in the table.

A tense start at Richmond Park saw both sides take time to settle, and St Pat's were the first to do so. However, despite having most of the possession, they created few scoring chances. Christy Fagan had a decent effort come back off the post, but neither goalkeeper was really tested in the opening 45 minutes.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 56th minute when Christy Fagan worked hard to collect a heavy pass and strike the ball beyond Mark McNulty. Cork tried to fight back after the goal with Shane Duggan scuffing a good chance, but Pat's showed their superiority and eased to a 1-0 victory.
Sligo Rovers 0-2 Shamrock Rovers

Champions Sligo Rovers claimed their first league title in 35 years, but were defeated 2-0 in their final game of the season with Gary Twigg scoring twice on his last appearance for Shamrock Rovers.

Shamrock Rovers dampened the party atmosphere at the Showgrounds 10 minutes in when Gary Twigg scored. Twigg's initial effort came back off the crossbar, but the Scottish striker reacted brilliantly to get the ball over Gary Rogers on the second attempt. Sligo played some fine passing moves, but the Shamrock Rovers defence held on well to stay ahead at half-time.

A defensive error saw Shamrock Rovers go two up before the hour mark, with Twigg running on to a weak back pass to round Rogers and squeeze the ball into the net from a tight angle. Sligo pushed men forward to try to end the season with a good result, but with the title already secured, many of the players looked to be already concentrating on the off-season.
UCD 1-1 Shelbourne

Shelbourne could only draw with UCD at the UCD Bowl, and as a result miss out on a place in next year's Setanta Sports Cup.

David Cassidy was on song for Shelbourne once again, and opened the scoring after just two minutes when he met Kevin Dawson's cross to put the ball past the advancing Ger Barron. The Students levelled from a set-piece in the 20th minute as Hugh Douglas met Chris Mulhall's corner to head in. Douglas went close to putting UCD ahead in the 32nd minute, but saw Chris Bennion deny him after a powerful strike from the edge of the area.

At the other end, Ger Barron kept his side in it with a great save on David Cassidy's free-kick. Cassidy's set-piece was deflected towards goal by Douglas, but Barron got down well to prevent the own goal. Cassidy had two chances near the end to win it for Shels, but saw efforts cleared off the line as well as a decent save from Ger Barron.