Airtricity Premier Division: Matchday 29 - Seventh heaven for Shamrock Rovers against Dundalk

St Pat's and Drogheda played out a scoreless draw to hand advantage to Sligo Rovers in the title race, while Shamrock Rovers put seven past Dundalk

Drogheda United 0-0 St Patrick's Athletic

Drogheda United and St Patrick's Athletic played out a scoreless draw at Hunky Dorys Park to the delight of league leaders Sligo Rovers.

A slow start saw both sides begin tentatively, testing out the opposition in the early stages. Jake Kelly went close with a header for Pat's while Gavin Brennan shot straight at the keeper with Drogheda's first real opportunity. Jake Kelly had a couple of chances near the end of the half, but neither side could break the deadlock.

Christy Fagan looked sharper up front for the Saints after half time, but could only launch tame efforts at Gabriel Sava. The Drogs keeper did well to keep out Greg Bolger as Pat's pushed men forward.

Jake Carroll and Chris Forrester also had efforts on goal, but neither side could find the victory to put pressure on Sligo.
Shamrock Rovers 7-0 Dundalk

Brian Laws recorded his first win as Shamrock Rovers Director of Football with a 7-0 trashing of bottom-placed Dundalk at Tallaght Stadium.

The Hoops had Colin Hawkins forced off injured after just 20 minutes, but despite suffering that setback were 2-0 ahead before the half-hour mark with Ronan Finn scoring from a corner and Ken Oman finishing Killian Brennan's free kick. Finn was on hand to lay the ball off for Ciaran Kilduff to give Shamrock Rovers a 3-0 lead at half time.

A handball from John Mountney saw the Hoops awarded a 57th-minute penalty. Gary McCabe stepped up and sent Peter Cherrie the wrong way. McCabe scored from the spot again nine minutes later after a foul from Paul Whelan. Gary Twigg got his name on the scoresheet, grabbing two goals in three minutes to make it 7-0 to the hosts.
Shelbourne 0-0 Bray Wanderers

Shelbourne and Bray played out a scoreless draw, with neither side really gaining a foothold on the mid-table tie.

With both teams playing lone frontmen, there were few chances in the first half at Tolka Park. The game descended into a midfield battle, but Sean Houston was in the right place to clear off the line from Andy Boyle while Glenn Cronin also tested Darren Quigley.

Quigley also kept out David Cassidy's free kick after the break. Paddy Kavanagh also forced Quigley into action, while Paul Byrne hit the ball past Quigley, but was ruled out for offside. Shels had a couple more late chances, but could not get the ball in the net once again.
UCD 2-2 Bohemians

Ten-man Bohemians came back from two goals down to grab a late draw against UCD, with Dave Scully breaking the hearts of Students fans with an injury time double.

A dramatic opening saw Bohemians defender Kevin Feely sent off after just five minutes for taking out Danny Ledwith with the midfielder bearing down on goal. Ledwith picked himself up and curled the resulting free kick past Greg Murray to give the Students an early lead.

The man advantage saw UCD dominate the first half, and deservedly doubled their lead after 22 minutes through Paul O'Connor's deflected long-range strike. Bohs were more impressive in the second half, and went close through Dave Mulcahy. A goal finally came through Dave Scully in the 90th minute, to set up an exciting finale. Five minutes into stoppage time, Bohemians won a corner, and Scully was on hand to snatch a late equaliser.