thumbnail Hello,

The top four teams in the Airtricity First Division all recorded wins over the bottom four, with Limerick FC remaining three points clear of Longford at the top of the table

Limerick FC 4-0 Mervue United
League leaders Limerick FC kept their promotion push on track with a comfortable 4-0 win over Mervue United at Jackman Park.

The Blues took the lead on half an hour after Mike Elwood stopped a certain goal with his hand. The Mervue captain received a straight red card, and Shane Tracy put home the penalty. David O'Leary headed home before half-time from Rory Gaffney's cross to give the hosts a 2-0 lead at the break.

Mervue struggled to get back into the match with ten men, and found themselves three down after 55 minutes. James McGrath split the defence with a pass, finding Rory Gaffney who blasted past Ger Hanley. Denis Behan added a fourth late on to give Limerick a big win and help their confidence as they search for promotion.

SD Galway 0-1 Waterford United
Bottom-placed SD Galway fought hard against Waterford United at Terryland Park, but were undone just after half-time through Peter White's goal.

Slovak striker Jakub Tomanica should have given SD Galway an early lead, but could not find the goal when put through on 15 minutes. The hosts were largely the better side in the opening 45 minutes, but neither side could break the deadlock.

When a goal did come, it was for the visitors as SD Galway were down a man with Nicky Curran off the field for treatment. Peter White poked the ball home for Waterford, but despite SD Galway trying their best to get something from the game, they wasted what few decent opportunities they had.

Finn Harps 2-0 Athlone Town
Finn Harps and Athlone Town were only separated by goal difference heading into Sunday's match, but a 2-0 win for the Donegal side moves them three points above their midtable rivals.

Stephen Last went close for Athlone in the first quarter of an hour, but it was the same player who gifted Finn Harps the opener just before half time as his backpass was easily intercepted by Paul McVeigh, who had time to place the ball past Pat Jennings.

A foul by Niall Scullion on Matt Harkin saw Finn Harps win a 64th minute penalty, and Kevin McHugh made no mistake with the spot kick, leaving Jennings no chance despite the keeper getting his fingertips to the ball.

Longford Town 2-0 Wexford Youths
After seeing promotion hopefuls Limerick and Waterford both record wins on Friday, the pressure was on Tony Cousin's Longford Town to get a win against Wexford Youths at Flancare Park on Sunday evening.

Cousins' side were on the back foot on a couple of occasions in the first half, but were spared when Aidan Keenan couldn't keep his effort on target. After a scoreless first half, Longford shoed more urgency in the second period, and took the lead through Karl Bermingham on 47 minutes. Tony Griffiths' ball into the box was knocked down by Thomas Crawley, and Bermingham was on hand to slot it home.

Thomas Crawley was kept out by Doyle five minutes later, but got his name on the scoresheet in the 71st minute squeezing the ball under the Wexford keeper after some good play by Bermingham. Victory keeps Longford within three points of leaders Limerick with just four games remaining.