Airtricity First Division: Matchday 23 - Waterford United edge out Limerick

Waterford United defeated Limerick FC, while Longford Town could only draw with Athlone Town to leave just four points between the top three

Athlone Town 1-1 Longford Town
Caretaker-manager Padraig Moran saw his Athlone Town side take a point against bitter rivals Longford Town, and hinder their promotion push.

Longford took a 21st-minute lead after Tony Griffiths flicked on Michael Lee's pass, and Colm James was in the right place to finish past Pat Jennings. Minutes later, Ross Kenny made a crucial clearance to keep out Karl Bermingham's shot, which looked destined for the net.

Moran made some positive changes after the break, with Ian Sweeney impressing after coming on. They equalised 15 minutes from time with Neil Harney heading in from a corner.

Limerick FC 0-1 Waterford United
Waterford United beat Limerick FC in a close encounter at Jackman Park to shake things up at the top of the Airtricity First Division table.

Waterford United looked the better side in the first half, with Barry Ryan forced into a couple of early saves. Dominic Foley went closest for the hosts, but neither side could break the deadlock in the opening 45 minutes.

Waterford got the advantage they needed when Jeffrey Judge was sent off for a late challenge, and made the man advantage count when Conor Coad scored a late winner.
Mervue United 1-1 Finn Harps
Mervue United came from behind to take a point from Finn Harps, and move further from the foot of the table.

A quiet first half saw few efforts on goal, but a Paul McVeigh header six minutes from the end of the first half saw the visitors take a one-goal lead at the interval. Tom King went close just after the break, forcing James Gallagher into a fine save, but the keeper was to blame moments later as he failed to stop Cian McBrien's shot.

Wexford Youths 4-1 SD Galway
Wexford Youths ran out 4-1 winners against bottom-placed SD Galway, who had two players sent off.

A quickfire double saw Youths go two up after just 12 minutes. Wexford had poor defending to blame as Danny Furlong and Joe Mulcahy grabbed early goals. Enda Curran pulled one back for SD Galway on 20 minutes, but Furlong restored the two-goal lead six minutes before half time, latching onto Aidan Keenan's cross.

Eugene Greaney received his marching orders for a late tackle after the break to put SD Galway down to 10 men. Joe Mulcahy added his second 20 minutes from time, and Luke McConnell picked up a late red card to add to Salthill's woes.