FAI Cup Third Round - Derry knock out UCD while Shelbourne narrowly defeat Cherry Orchard

There were no shocks in the FAI Ford Cup Third Round, as Shelbourne and Cherry Orchard played out a five goal thriller, while Dundalk recorded a 4-0 win over Malahide United

Bohemians 1-0 Avondale United
Bohemians wasted numerous chances against Munster Senior League side Avondale United, but came away 1-0 winners to progress to the FAI Ford Cup Quarter-Finals.

The Airtricity Premier Division side were awarded an 11th minute penalty for a handball by Danny Long, but Dave Scully could not put the ball past Dave O'Keefe. O'Keefe was the hero again 13 minutes later as Danny Joyce also missed from the spot.

However, despite his best efforts O'Keefe could not keep out Evan McMillan's header on the stroke of half time. Bohs remained on top in the second half, but the former Cobh Ramblers goalkeeper kept up his good form to keep the score respectable for Avondale.

Drogheda United 1-0 Wexford Youths
First Division side Wexford Youths were unlucky to be beaten by a dogged Drogheda United side who had to fight hard to record a 1-0 victory at Hunky Dorys Park.

Shane Nolan forced Gabriel Sava into an early save, before Dean Broaders put the ball past the keeper in the 19th minute. However, referee Paul McLaughlin awarded a free out as Broaders infringed on the keeper. Drogs took the lead seven minutes later as Ryan Brennan centred for Peter Hynes to head in.

Shane Nolan and Tom Elmes worked hard for Youths after the interval, as Wexford pushed on. This left them exposed at the back, and Peter Hynes should have put Drogheda two up. However, despite the pressure, the Premier Division high-flyers held on for the win.

Malahide United 0-4 Dundalk
Darius Kierans made sure there was no giant-killing as Dundalk demolished Leinster Senior League outfit Malahide United at Gannon Park.

Gary Shanahan gave the visitors an early lead following a neat pass from Lorcan Shannon. Mark Griffin doubled their lead just before half-time, hitting home a free-kick on the rainy pitch. Malahide were slow to get into the game, and were only slightly better in the second half.

Dundalk got a penalty after Michael Rafter was fouled in the area, but Chris Shiels saw his penalty saved. Lorcan Shannon made it 3-0 to Dundalk 15 minutes from time before young substitute Bob McKenna added a fourth in stoppage time.

Shelbourne 3-2 Cherry Orchard
Shelbourne left it late to beat Leinster Senior League side Cherry Orchard, winning 3-2 at Tolka Park.

The visitors took a surprisingly lead from the spot as Mark Hughes scored on half an hour. Namesake Philip Hughes levelled things nine minutes later with another penalty to leave it tied at half-time.

Philly Hughes added his second ten minutes from time, and Conan Byrne made it 3-1 soon after. Mark Hughes got one back for Cherry Orchard but it was too late for the non-league club.

Shamrock Rovers 2-0 Cork City
Shamrock Rovers reached the final eight of the FAI Ford Cup with a deserved win over Cork City.

A quiet first half at a rainy Tallaght Stadium left goalkeepers Mark McNulty and Oscar Jansson with little to do. Things livened up after the break, with Chris Turner going close for Rovers. The Leesiders made Jansson work to save efforts from Daryl Horgan and Davin O'Neill, before substitute Tommy Stewart made an instant impact for the Hoops.

Stewart had a simple finish after Billy Dennehy knocked Gary McCabe's free-kick across the goal on 70 minutes, and then added a second seven minutes later to give Stephen Kenny's side a comfortable victory.

UCD 0-1 Derry City
A heated game at the College Bowl saw Derry City come out 1-0 winners against UCD.

UCD had two players go in the book early on, but the first real chance didn't come until half an hour in as Barry McCabe cleared a Stewart Greacan header off the line. Robbie Benson was the standout player for UCD, but neither side could create many chances.

Benson had a header go close on the hour mark but it was Derry who found the net as David McDaid scored from a corner for the only goal of the game. The visitors held on to win despite Chris Lyons threatening late on.