Airtricity First Division: Matchday 21 - Waterford United slip up against Athlone Town

Limerick FC extended their lead at the top of the Airtricity First Division to six points by beating Wexford Youths as Waterford were held to a scoreless draw by Athlone Town

SD Galway 2-1 Mervue United
The all-Galway clash saw SD Galway move to within four points of Mervue United at the bottom of the First Division table with a 2-1 victory.

A tense game saw a couple of yellow cards handed out in the first half, with a player from each side going into the book. SD Galway took the lead after Slovakian midfielder Jakub Tomanica fed Brian Gaffney on a counter-attack to lead 1-0 at half time.

A cut back from Noel Varley allowed Damian O'Rourke to pounce for the equaliser in the 56th minute, but the hosts restored their lead 10 minutes later through Brian Geraghty. Nicky Curran received his marching orders soon after for a second bookable offence, but SD Galway held out to win with 10 men.

Waterford United 0-0 Athlone Town
Waterford United slipped up in their promotion chase as they had a man sent off in a scoreless affair with Athlone Town.

The weather was brighter than the football on display at the Regional Sports Centre, with neither keeper tested in the opening quarter of an hour. The biggest incident of the first half was a penalty shout from the hosts, but Peter White went down too easily in the area after Sean Maguire's good work put him in on goal.

Noel McGee had Athlone's best chance, meeting Shane Dunne's cross with his head, but goalkeeper Packie Holden was in the right place to collect. Waterford played out the last 10 minutes without Willie John Kiely after the forward went in hard on Mark McGoldrick.

Wexford Youths 1-3 Limerick FC
Limerick FC came back from a goal down at Ferrycarrig Park to beat Wexford Youths 3-1 and extend their lead at the top of the table.

An even first half finished goalless, but the second half was much more thrilling with Wexford taking a 57th-minute lead through Paul Malone. However, within 10 minutes they were losing, as Limerick equalised from a corner with Rory Gaffney left unmarked at the back post, before Jeffrey Judge finished well to make it 2-1.

Former Ireland international Dominic Foley struck in injury time to ensure the three points for Limerick, who move six points clear at the top of the table with Longford due to play on Saturday.