Airtricity Premier Division: Matchday 20 - Drogheda United close gap to one point

Drogheda United beat UCD 1-0 to cut Sligo's Airtricity Premier Division lead to just one point, while Shamrock Rovers returned to winning ways in Derry

Bohemians 2-1 Dundalk

Bohemians recorded their second successive win as they continue their good run of form, beating Dundalk 2-1 at Dalymount.

Bohs started well, and tested Peter Cherrie's goal in the second minute after neat passing from Keith Ward and Ryan McEvoy. Owen Heary forced Cherrie into another save in the 12th minute, with a volley well saved by the goalkeeper.

Dundalk had defender John Mountney forced off injured on the half hour mark, and found themselves two goals behind at half time. Evan McMillan netted both, the first coming on 34 minutes after Owen Heary flicked it on and the second just before the break from Karl Moore's corner.

A free-kick from Michael Rafter gave Dundalk a lifeline 20 minutes fro time and livened up an uneventful second half, but Bohemians defended well to hold on to their lead.
Cork City 0-0 Shelbourne

A sunny evening at Turner's Cross saw midtable sides Cork City and Shelbourne play out an entertaining scoreless draw.

Both sides had opportunities to open the scoring early on, with Ian Turner putting in a good shift for the hosts and Philip Gorman going closest for Shels. Cork dominated most of the first half, but despite having a number of chances, didn't really test goalkeeper Mark McNulty.

A Philly Hughes free-kick earned a good save from McNulty as Shels had the better second half. Stephen Hurley should have done better for the visitors while a speculative shot from Conan Byrne went close. Cork sent on Keigan Parker with 20 minutes to go for his debut, but it was one to forget as he raised his elbow contesting a header and received a harsh red card with six minutes remaining.
Derry City 0-1 Shamrock Rovers

A second half strike from Ronan Finn saw Stephen Kenny's Shamrock Rovers return to winning ways against Derry City.

With midfielder Patrick McEleney stretchered off after just 34 minutes, fans at the Brandywell will be more concerned about the injury status of one of their key players rather than the disappointing defeat to the holders.

Derry started better, but did not really trouble Oscar Jansson in the opening period. Shots from Gary McCabe and Gary Twigg tested Gerard Doherty, but Patrick McEleney's 34th minute injury was the defining moment of the half.

Ruaidhri Higgins stung Jansson's fingers with a rasping shot to open the second half, before Ronan Finn put the visitors ahead with a long-range effort in the 54th minute. Gary Twigg wasted a couple of opportunities for the Hoops, but Derry never really challenged Jansson at the other end as Shamrock Rovers recorded a comfortable win.
Drogheda United 1-0 UCD

Drogheda United defeated UCD 1-0 to record their tenth win of the season and move to within one point of leaders Sligo Rovers.

Declan 'Fabio' O'Brien tested Mark McGinley's goal early on with a long-range effort, but found the net on the second time of asking, volleying in from outside the box to give the hosts a 21st minute lead. Paul Corry went close for the Students after half an hour, but goalkeeper Gabriel Sava kept him out with a good save.

Daniel Ledwith saw his free-kick go out off the post as UCD searched for an equaliser, while Save was on hand again in the second half to keep out Chris Lyons and Robbie Benson. UCD saw much more of the ball in the latter stages, but failed to break down the Drogheda defence as the hosts held on for a one-goal win.