Sligo Rovers stage late Cork City comeback

Sligo Rovers came from two goals down to grab a point against Cork City at the Showgrounds, with Mark Quigley netting twice for the hosts
Airtricity Premier Division leaders Sligo Rovers staged a late comeback against Cork City to draw 2-2 and restore their lead at the top of the table to four points.

Sligo looked to have taken an early lead after Mark McNulty's attempt to collect Ross Gaynor's cross, but David Cawley's reaction shot rippled the side netting to give Cork an early let off. Just minutes later the visitors were ahead. A quick counter attack saw Ian Turner's shot hit a defender on the way in to leave Gary Rogers flat footed.

Ross Gaynor and Pascal Millien were impressive for the hosts, trying to spur the Bit o'Red on for an equaliser. Gaynor tested McNulty with a stinging shot while Millien entertained the crowd with his fancy footwork as he tried to supply Danny North up front. Daryl Horgan stood out for the visitors, and almost caught out Rogers with a cheeky lob.

Sligo continued to push forward after the interval, and forced McNulty into another save with Ross Gaynor's low shot three minutes into the second half. Danny North and Seamus Conneely also went close before Cork countered once again for their second goal, this time coming from Vinny Sullivan.

The hosts finally got the goal they deserved through substitute Mark Quigley's 64th minute free-kick, after North was fouled just outside the area. Ian Baraclough also sent on debutant Ryan Connolly to try to salvage something from the match.

Quigley had a shot come off the crossbar after a Millien knock-on as Sligo pushed for an equaliser. The coveted goal came with six minutes to go as Danny North was fouled in the box. Mark Quigley put the resulting penalty kick to the left, to send McNulty the wrong way.

Sligo should have had all three points and Quigley should have had three goals, but he wasted a glorious opportunity in stoppage time, heading over Conneely's cross to see the tie finish 2-2.