Thor Akureyri hold Bohemians to scoreless draw in Europa League

Bohemians started their 2012-13 Europa League campaign with a disappointing scoreless draw against Icelandic side Þór Akureyri
Bohemians failed to make their chances count in the First Qualifying Round of the UEFA Europa League, as they drew 0-0 with Icelandic side Þór Akureyri (Thor AK) at Dalymount Park.

Both sides had early opportunities, as Bohemians took time to settle in to the game, allowing Thor too much space down the right wing. Dwayne Wilson should have had Bohs ahead from a corner after Keith Buckley headed it back for him. Wilson had a couple of chances to put the ball in, but found himself blocked by an Icelandic defender.

Dave Mulcahy made a great run into the box to meet a corner but couldn't keep his header on target. After a spell of Bohs pressure, Thor looked to try slow down the tempo by keeping the ball in midfield, and whenever an opportunity arose, looked to play it down the right through captain Sveinn Elias Jónsson.

At the other end, Peter McMahon put the ball in the net for Bohs, but he had controlled the ball with his hand after being put through by Wilson, and referee Jovan Kaludjerovic correctly ruled the goal out. The hosts looked dangerous from corners with Srdjan Rajković not looking too comfortable collecting high balls, but Bohs could not capitalise. Keith Ward had a shot from distance, but it was easy for Rajkovic to punch clear, and the sides went in scoreless at the break.

Bohemians started the second half well, but once again could not punish Rajkovic despite winning some early corners. Johann Hannesson forced Andrew McNulty into a save with a low drive which led to Thor's first corner of the game. Peter McMahon came on for Dave Scully to try to increase the tempo of the game. Thor had a great chance to take the lead, but were halted by a last ditch tackle from Evan McMillan after Andri Albertsson played a dangerous ball across the box for Ingi Hilmarsson.

The game became more scrappy as the second half went on. The introduction of Karl Moore and Stephen Traynor spurred Bohs on, but their crossing was poor with McMillan heading wide when they did put a good ball in. Thor tried to wind down the clock, and ended up with a scoreless draw, taking the advantage back to Akureyri.

St. Patrick's Athletic fared better against IBV, winning 1-0 thanks to Christy Fagan's first half goal, while Liam Boyce's goal gave Cliftonville a 1-0 win over Kalmar FF. However, 10-man Crusaders lost 3-0 to Rosenborg.