Airtricity Premier Division: Matchday 13 - Students stun Sligo

The top three teams in the Premier Division all slipped up, with UCD beating Sligo 1-0 for Rovers' first loss of the season, while St Pat's unbeaten streak also came to an end

Derry City 3-2 Bray Wanderers

Derry City notched up another win at the Brandywell in an exciting five-goal game against Bray Wanderers.

Bray were largely the better side for the first 45 minutes, but carved out little of note until Kieran 'Marty' Walters broke the deadlock just before half time. A mistake from Shane McEleney allowed Walters in to beat Gerard Doherty when one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

The match swung hugely in Derry's favour after the hour mark when Stephen McLaughlin scored twice within seven minutes. Substitute Owen Morrison set up McLaughlin's second after a great cross from Patrick McEleney found McLaughlin unmarked at the back post for the equaliser.

Danny O'Connor levelled the score again with just over a quarter of an hour left, only for Ryan McBride to restore Derry's lead minutes later. McBride went up with goalkeeper Darren Quigley for Stephen McLaughlin's corner and got his head to the ball, out-jumping Quigley.

Bray battled hard for another equaliser, but Derry held on to move three points closer to the summit.
Drogheda United 1-1 Cork City

A lively opening at Hunky Dorys Park saw Drogheda's Peter Hynes go close in the first minute, but he was kept out by Cork keeper Mark McNulty before Danny Murphy was booked for a deliberate handball soon after. Drogheda continued to dominate, and the pressure paid off with a 27th minute goal from Declan 'Fabio' O'Brien. O'Brien got the opener with a lob over McNulty after the Cork defence left the forward clear.

Drogheda had the ball in the net again on 45 minutes, but Gavin Brennan was offside for Sean Brennan's cross. Cork improved after the interval, and were level on 57 minutes. Gabriel Sava was to blame, with the keeper rushing out and running into Shane Grimes, allowing Daryl Horgan in for an easy goal.

McNulty was to thank at the other end, pulling off a great save to keep out Hynes once again. Either side could have won the game, but a draw was a fair result.
Monaghan United 0-0 Shamrock Rovers

Shamrock Rovers kept a rare clean sheet but were wasteful at the other end as they played out a scoreless draw with Monaghan United at Gortakeegan.

The visitors saw a lot of the ball in the early stages, but rarely threatened Chris Bennion's goal. It was not until after 30 minutes when Bennion was finally called into action, saving from Gary O'Neill. Keith Quinn had a chance for Mons at the other end, but it was easy for Oscar Jansson.

The second half was somewhat more exciting, with Killian Brennan threatening. First he was denied by a good save from Bennion, and then kept out by the woodwork. Rovers hit the post again late on from Gary McCabe, but could have had three points if not for their poor finishing.
Shelbourne 1-2 Bohemians

Bohemians had to wait until stoppage time to grab a winner against 10-man Shelbourne at Tolka Park.

Peter McMahon and Paddy Kavanagh had early chances for Bohs and Shels respectively, but the game opened up after John Sullivan was sent off for a tackle from behind. Just before that, Philip Gorman had the ball in the net only for the assistant to flag him offside. Shels did take the lead just before half time through Glen Cronin, who scored from the spot after an Evan McMillan foul.

Less than 10 minutes into the second half, Peter McMahon got an equaliser for Bohs, with his shot going in off the bar. Bohs pushed men forward, but it looked as if their pressure would come to nothing with time ticking away. However, Ryan McEvoy scored right at the death to give Bohemians a 2-1 win.
St Patrick's Athletic 1-2 Dundalk

St Patrick's Athletic squandered a first-half lead to allow 10-man Dundalk a rare away win, despite the visitors having had a man sent off for striking a teammate.

Pats were heavy favourites going into the game, and had much better chances in the opening period. Reading boss Brian McDermott was watching Chris Forrester once again, and the exciting teenager almost created an opener for Christy Fagan after 20 minutes. Dundalk had few chances in the first half, and Pat's' dominance paid off when Chris Forrester headed in Ger O'Brien's corner just before the break.

Dundalk came out for the second half a man down thanks to an off the pitch red card, with Michael Rafter sent off for allegedly hitting a team-mate in the tunnel. Possession wise, Pat's were undeniably on top, but their shooting was wasteful, and they were punished with 12 minutes to go as Mark Griffin curled in a 20-yard free kick. Then in stoppage time, Griffin repeated the feat to bring St Pats' undefeated run to an end.
UCD 1-0 Sligo Rovers

UCD recorded a deserved 1-0 win over league leaders Sligo Rovers at the UCD Bowl, bringing Sligo's unbeaten run to an end.

The Students started better, with Graham Rusk offered a great opportunity right at the start. Unfortunately, he couldn't keep his shot down when it looked easier to score. UCD continued to push and took the lead in the 27th minute when Daniel Ledwith found Graham Rusk, who headed home.

The hosts were well worth their win, and Paul O'Connor could have made it 2-0 were it not for a good save from Gary Rodgers. Top scorer Danny North was denied in both halves by the offside flag, but Sligo did not deserve a point against an impressive UCD side.