Airtricity Premier Division: Matchday 10 - Sligo extend league lead to four points

The Bit o'Red and St Patrick's Athletic both extended their unbeaten runs, but Shamrock Rovers saw UCD come back from two down to snatch a late point at Tallaght Stadium

Bray Wanderers 2-1 Bohemians

Bray Wanderers overtook Bohemians in the Premier Division table with a 2-1 victory over their mid-table rivals at the Carlisle Grounds.

Jason Byrne
opened the scoring with his sixth goal of the season, easily getting past defender Evan McMillan and squeezing the ball into the corner of the net after 14 minutes. Bohemians equalised a quarter of an hour later. Keith Ward's corner was poorly cleared, coming back out for him to cross back in, with Dinny Corcoran heading home from close range.

Bray went ahead on the hour mark when Kevin Knight's free kick was poorly cleared. Jason Byrne had a header in the box before Danny O'Connor struck it in. Bray were on top for the game's closing stages, and ran out comfortable 2-1 winners.
Cork City 3-2 Dundalk

Cork City and Dundalk played out an exciting five-goal game at Turner's Cross, with the home side winning by the odd goal.

A frenetic opening quarter of an hour saw both teams net twice, with Davin O'Neill getting two for Cork; the first from Colin Healy's corner and another due to poor defending from Dundalk, allowing him too much time on the ball. O'Neill's goals came before and after a quick-fire double from Dundalk.

Michael Rafter
's long-range effort looked to be saved by Mark McNulty, but the goalkeeper let it slip through his hands and in off the post. Minutes later Gary Shanahan capitalised on a weak pass from Gearoid Morissey to sneak in and score.

Cork started the second half well, and regained the lead through Vinny Sullivan's 54th minute header. Shanahan could have equalised for Dundalk, but saw his shot saved by McNulty. That was as close as they got, seeing Cork win 3-2.
Derry City 0-2 St Patrick's Athletic

St Patrick's Athletic had the livelier start in this evening's televised game at the Brandywell, and broke the deadlock just before half time. Darren Meenan had been introduced as an early substitute when Mark Rossiter went off, and met Chris Forrester's high cross to loop a header over stranded Derry City goalkeeper Ger Doherty.

Daniel Devine made a double substitution just after half time, sending on Shane McEleney and Brian McGroary to try snatch something from the game. However, a mistake from Doherty gave Pat's a second in the 64th minute. Sean O'Connor's 20-yard shot took an awkward bounce just before Doherty, evading the keeper on the way to the net.

St Pat's held out well, winning 2-0, an extending their unbeaten run to 10 games this season.
Drogheda United 1-3 Sligo Rovers

Sligo Rovers extended their lead at the top of the table to four points with a decent display against Drogheda United at Hunky Dorys Park.

The visitors took a deserved lead after just 10 minutes. Jason McGuinness' header was cleared off the line by Derek Prendergast, but it only went as far as Gavin Peers to head in the rebound. Danny North doubled Sligo's lead on 35 minutes, collecting Ross Gaynor's cross and striking it past Gabriel Sava.

Declan 'Fabio' O'Brien got one back for Drogheda just before half time, livening things up for the home fans. They pushed for an equaliser, but left themselves exposed at the back, allowing North in for his second of the night.

The 3-1 win is Sligo's seventh of the season, continuing their excellent start under new boss Ian Baraclough.
Shamrock Rovers 2-2 UCD

UCD came back from two goals down to grab a deserved draw against Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght Stadium.

Top scorer Gary Twigg was always going to cause trouble for the Students, and after he was felled outside the area in the fifth minute, Billy Dennehy stepped up and curled in a free kick to give Rovers an early lead. The hosts went close on a number of occasions, and deservedly extended their lead through a Daryl Kavanagh long-range effort on 40 minutes.

A foul on Daniel Ledwith in the box gave UCD a lifeline, with Graham Rusk slotting in the subsequent penalty kick. Then in stoppage time, Paul O'Connor grabbed a dramatic equaliser for UCD, after the Students piled on the pressure.

The draw sees Shamrock Rovers slip five points behind leaders Sligo in the table.

Shelbourne 2-1 Monaghan United

Shelbourne came back from a goal behind to beat Roddy Collins' Monaghan United at Tolka Park.

The home side had a much better start, going close twice in the opening period. Philly Gorman saw an early effort come back off the bar, before Philly Hughes' shot was cleared off the line. Shels created much better chances, but could not beat Michael Schlingermann, who was impressive in the Mons net. David Cassidy headed off the bar just before half time, but the sides went in level at the break.

Monaghan United broke the deadlock from the spot 10 minutes into the second half after Jordan Keegan was fouled in the area. William McDonagh put the ball past Dean Delaney to give Mons the lead. Monaghan improved after the goal, but Shelbourne never looked out of the game. The lead lasted just seven minutes, with Paddy Kavanagh scoring his third goal of the season.

A Shels winner was always likely, and to Collins' frustration, his defence allowed David Cassidy in to lob Schlingermann for the winner. The loss keeps Monaghan United at the foot of the table.