thumbnail Hello,

A win for Longford over Athlone, and Limerick's loss to Waterford United sees the Town extend their lead at the top of the First Division table to four points

Athlone Town 1-2 Longford Town
Longford Town continued their excellent start to the season with a 2-1 win over Athlone Town.

Colm Jones opened the scoring for Longford Town with a curled shot in the 11th minute, picking up Gary Shaw's pass and putting it past Pat Jennings. Karl Bermingham should have doubled the lead on the half hour mark, but shot straight at Jennings.

Longford's defensive frailties showed once again as they let Athlone back into the match after the break. Mark Sherlock levelled the game with a lob, but could only hold out for six minutes. Keith Gillespie's corner dropped into a sea of bodies in the box, and Noel Haverty poked it home to extend Longford's lead at the top of the table to four points.
Limerick FC 0-1 Waterford United
Limerick FC failed to live up to their pre-season favourites tag against an inconsistent Waterford United side at Jackman Park, with the visitors taking a 1-0 lead back to the south-east.

Youngster Sean Maguire, who looks a step above this division, was once again the hero for Waterford United, scoring just before half time to give Waterford the go-ahead-goal. Maguire continued to impress after the break, and worked his socks off, before being taken off with 15 minutes to go.

Limerick had much of the ball for the last quarter of an hour, but could do nothing with it, and created few chances, leaving Waterford worthy winners.
Mervue United 3-0 Finn Harps
Mervue United climbed off the bottom of the table with a solid 3-0 display against Finn Harps.

The Galway side started the game much better, and created more opportunities, being rewarded for their hard work just before the interval. Alan Murphy grabbed the opening goal, making the most of poor Harps defending.

Ronan Forde did well in goal for Mervue, keeping out two separate efforts from Kevin McHugh, as Finn Harps pushed for an equaliser. This left them exposed at the back, where Jason Molloy snuck in to double Mervue's lead.

Barry McEntee added a third in stoppage time, but by that stage it was all over, giving Mervue United their first win of the 2012 season.
Wexford Youths 2-0 SD Galway
Wexford Youths kept their promotion hopes alive with a 2-0 win over SD Galway at Ferrycarrig Park.

Shane Nolan scored his first goal since the opening day of the season, netting on the half hour mark to give Youths the lead. First Division top scorer Tom Elmes doubled Wexford's lead three minutes from time to see the overachieving side run out comfortable 2-0 winners.

The win keeps Wexford in third spot, but leaves SD Galway at the bottom of the table, thanks to Mervue's 3-0 win.