Airtricity Premier Division: Matchday 9 - Sligo maintain unbeaten streak and stay top

Sligo Rovers extended their unbeaten streak to nine games with a 1-1 draw against St Pat's, while Shamrock Rovers missed the chance to close the gap on the league leaders

Dundalk 0-2 Bohemians

A 2-0 win for Bohemians at Oriel Park moved them above Dundalk in the table, giving the Dublin side their third victory of the season.

Bohemians started better with Peter McMahon and Luke Byrne going close. Their dominance paid off in the 26th minute, with Ryan McEvoy scoring from 10 yards after a good run from McMahon. Bohs were much better organised than Dundalk, with the home side showing ill-discipline, picking up a number of needless bookings.

Peter McMahon grabbed a deserved goal for the visitors, doubling their lead with a shot from the edge of the area with just 20 minutes remaining. They looked happy to hold their lead, and defended well for the remainder, holding Dundalk scoreless.
Monaghan United 0-1 Bray Wanderers

Bray Wanderers grabbed a late winner to grab all three points at Gortakeegan in their bottom-of-the-table clash against Monaghan United.

Jason Byrne almost put the visitors ahead in the first minute, but must have been blinded by the sunshine as he failed to get his head onto David Webster's cross. Conor Murphy went close for Monaghan, who threatened down the right through Jordan Keegan.

Veteran Byrne was involved in most of Bray's attacks, and after going close on a number of occasions, snatched an 86th minute winner, heading in Kevin Knight's cross. Monaghan had been brought down to 10 men for the last 20 minutes, as Keith Quinn received a straight red for a heavy tackle on Webster.

Mons boss Roddy Collins was visibly upset with the referee's decision, and after a few strong words in Rob Rogers' direction, was sent from the technical area.

Byrne's late winner made the evening worse for Collins, with his side now rooted to the bottom of the table.
Shamrock Rovers 1-1 Derry City

Shamrock Rovers missed the chance to make up ground on league leaders Sligo Rovers as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Derry City.

The visitors had goalkeeper Gerard Doherty to thank for keeping them in the game in the first half, getting down to save Billy Dennehy's penalty. Rovers had won the spot kick for a foul by Matthew Crossan on Gary McCabe. Dennehy stepped up, but Doherty was able to reach the ball and push it out for a corner.

However, if there was one player destined to score for the Hoops, it was Scottish sensation Gary Twigg, who knocked in Gary McCabe's corner just after the interval. Twigg went close again soon after, forcing a save from Doherty, and the keeper's heroics were rewarded when David McDaid levelled the tie on 71 minutes. McDaid was in the right place to grab the rebound after Barry Molloy's shot came back off the post.

The hosts battled hard for a winner, but Derry City held out for a deserved draw at the Tallaght Stadium.
Shelbourne 1-2 Cork City

After a slow start to the season, Cork City grabbed their first win on the road, moving up to eight points thanks to a gritty victory against Shelbourne.

Cork City took the lead against the run of play. Tadhg Purcell found Vinny Sullivan after a smart passing move, with the striker putting the ball past Paul Skinner on 20 minutes. The game descended into a midfield battle for most of the first half, before Paddy Kavanagh livened things up on 47 minutes with a leveller for Shels. Kavanagh met Anto Murphy's cross with a volley.

The goal opened up the game, with Philly Hughes and Philip Gorman threatening Mark McNulty's goal. However, Sullivan got a second for Cork with 10 minutes left, heading in Purcell's cross. Shelbourne pushed on for an equaliser, and almost got one through Mark McNulty's late mistake, but it went unpunished and Cork took the three points.
Sligo Rovers 1-1 St Patrick's Athletic

Sligo Rovers held on to their spot at the top of the table with a 1-1 draw against St Patrick's Athletic at the Showgrounds. Neither side has suffered a loss this season, so this week's televised tie was always going to be a close affair.

The hosts went ahead through a Joseph Ndo corner. The Cameroonian swung the ball in at the near post, but goalkeeper Brendan Clarke and defender Kenny Browne got in each other's way, and the ball was deflected into the net. Ndo was forced off just 10 minutes later, going down with a leg injury.

Although Sligo had the better chances after the break, Pats never looked out of the game, and grabbed a 72nd minute equaliser through Sean O'Connor. Former Sligo midfielder John Russell's run down the right set up O'Connor who headed home.

Both sides could have had a late winner, first Chris Forrester drew Gary Rogers into a great save before Christy Fagan missed from the spot for Pats.

Jason McGuinness fouled Dean Kelly in the area, but Fagan sent his penalty over the bar.

UCD 1-1 Drogheda United

UCD and Drogheda United played out a 1-1 draw in an entertaining evening of football at the UCD Bowl, which was a fair result for both sides.

The Students started better with Hugh Douglas heading narrowly over, and Chris Lyons failing to hit the target with an early lob. Drogheda grew into the game, with Declan 'Fabio' O'Brien going close for the visitors. However, neither side could break the deadlock in the opening period.

O'Brien had another great chance in the second half, but saw his effort cleared off the line by defender Daniel Ledwith. At the other end, Ledwith opened the scoring for the Students, curling in after Graham Rusk's shot was blocked. Drogheda United captain Alan McNally grabbed a deserved equaliser for the visitors seven minutes from time, heading from Brian Gannon.