thumbnail Hello,

Wexford Youths started the First Division season with a surprising 6-0 victory over Waterford United on an action packed opening day

Wexford Youths started the Airtricity First Division season with a 6-0 demolition of Waterford in the south-east derby, while title favourites Limerick were made to work hard for their first win. Here's how the opening day went in the First Division.
Limerick 2-1 Finn Harps
Limerick lived up to their title favourites tag with a 2-1 win over Finn Harps, and looked to have the game sewn up after just half an hour. Paudie Quinn opened the scoring after 13 minutes with a stunning volley, before Rory Gaffney doubled their lead from a long ball on 25 minutes.

A double substitution by manager Peter Hutton at half-time gave Finn Harps some life after the break, and they were rewarded when debutant Alan Clarke slotted home a corner. The Donegal side pressed late on for an equaliser, but Limerick held out for their first win of the season.
Mervue United 0-1 Longford Town
One goal separated the sides in what was a poor spectacle at Fahy Field between two of last season's midtable sides. Gary Shaw scored the only goal in the second half, after heading in a long throw from Thomas Crawley.

Shaw had a chance to double Longford's lead in stoppage, but squandered a decent opportunity. An uneventful game, and both sides know that they'll need to improve if they're to compete against the bigger sides.
Wexford Youths 6-0 Waterford United
Wexford Youths started the season in style with a 6-0 thrashing of rivals Waterford United, thanks to four goals from Tom Elmes. Wexford led 3-0 at half-time, and were helped by Waterford captain John Frost's unnecessary dismissal for picking up two bookings.

Things went from bad to worse for the Blues in the second half, with Elmes bagging two more and Rocky Keenan netting one of his own to put the Youths top of the table.
Athlone Town 2-1 SD Galway
The rebranded SD Galway started the season with an away loss and a last minute red card as Enda Curran harshly received his marching orders for a late challenge.

The first half was lively with chances at both ends, and the second half proved even more entertaining. Athlone won a penalty after a handball from Brian Geraghty, but Salthill goalkeeper Liam Grant kept out Noel McGee's spot kick.

The stalemate didn't last much longer, however, with Sean Guerin heading home Garvan Broghall's free kick just before the hour mark.

Sloppy defending led to Athlone's second, with Tommy Barrett making up for last week's own goal by poking the ball home after a goalmouth scramble.

A stunning 30-yard free kick from Enda Curran gave SD Galway a late lifeline, but his red card three minutes later made it more difficult to find an equaliser.