Libyan Olympic Committee president Nabil Elalem kidnapped

At the moment there is no further information with regards to the identity of the official's kidnappers or their intentions
Libya Olympic Committee president Nabil Elalem is reported to have been kidnapped in the country's capital, Tripoli.

The high ranking official was in his car with a colleague when two vehicles filled with armed men claiming to be from the army forced him to stop and asked Elalem to follow them.

According to eye witnesses who were present at the kidnapping, he did as he was told and his colleague was left in the car.

Elalem's current location is unknown, and as yet there has been no official contact from the alleged kidnappers. Their identity remains a mystery.

Libya's Sports and Youth Minister Fethi Tarbel told Reuters, "We condemn this kind of action. Whoever did this are criminals. This goes against the revolution, this brings us back to the Gaddafi culture. I don't know if he [Elalem] had any issues with anyone."

Since the fall of Muammar Gaddafi's dictatorship in 2011, Libya's interim government has been hounded by the constant threat of armed groups, while struggling to keep them under some sort of control. Elalem is a former head of the Libyan Football Federation and shared ties with his son, Mohammed, who preceded him as the Olympic Committee boss.

A fortnight ago two Libyan journalists were kidnapped near Bani Walid, a known former Gaddafi stronghold, while a group of armed men in Zintan is still holding Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of the former leader who is wanted by the International Criminal Court.

Despite the turmoil still surrounding the country from a social and political perspective, the national football team provided the nation with hope when they qualified for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea at the beginning of the year.

The Mediterranean Knights failed to progress past the group stage at the tournament, but they held eventual champions Zambia to a 2-2 draw while beating Senegal 2-1, ending their fairytale run two points short of progressing to the quarter-finals.

The national team remains in the running to qualify for the 2013 Afcon in South Africa, with a two legged play-off with Algeria set to determine which of the two sides will represent north African interests in January.